Is a USB 3 HDD backward compatible with a USB 1.1 port?

tboyz January 11, 2012

Will my 640GB Transcend Store Jet 25D3, USB 3 HDD work in a USB 1.1 port? Can I use this superspeed HDD in a USB 1.1 port? Thanks!

Hello, Even though the plug for USB 1.1 is same as USB2, there are a few differences between both.  From checking the specs and packaging for your drive, it does not mention anything about USB 1.1.

Requirements for your drive show only back compatibility with USB2.  I am afraid, your drive would not work with USB 1.1.  If you have the drive and the computer already, the only way to make sure is to try.  I do not think anything bad would come out of it.  For more info on USB3, visit the following link: 

If it is a desktop, your best solution would be to install a USB3 card.  If it is a laptop, you could add USB3 ports through a Expresscard-to-USB 3.0 adapter.

USB 3.0 is backwards-compatible with USB 2.0 ports, on USB 1.1 perhaps you can have some problems?