Why are the USB 3. 0 ports only working in USB 2.0 mode on my ASUS X200MA laptop?

Vipul Jain October 8, 2014

Firstly I’d like to thank the guys who helped me on the Netbook vs Tablet dilemma.
I don’t know what happened to MUO login, I guess it’s been removed totally :/

Anyhow, coming to main issue
I bought the ASUS X200MA-KX234D. It has 1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports. I loaded Windows 7 and everything is working fine.

Except the USB 3.0 port. It works, but just like a USB 2.0 port, and in my BIOS there is something named XHCI Mode under USB Configuration. It has just 2 options: “enabled” & “disabled”. If I disable it all 3 ports work like USB 2.0 ports. If I enable it none of the ports work AT ALL!! Does anyone have any idea what is the matter here?

I have also installed all the drivers from ASUS’s site for Windows 7 64 bit. And when I installed the USB 3.0 driver with XHCI disabled, it said this pc lacks hardware needed. I then enabled XHCI and ran the setup and the driver installed just fine but still none of the ports worked.

Also another small issue. No matter how many times I reinstall Chrome or AdBlock Plus, ABP just won’t work on this netbook. It’s working just fine on my other machine in Chrome, but giving a problem only on this machine. Any ideas here?

1. Jan F.

xHCI is a controller specification used to enable/disable USB 3.0 support for pre-boot operation (kind of a like a legacy mode) as well as other improvements to the controller in general. If enabling it renders all your USB ports unusable I would suspect that it is actually not supported by your hardware and ASUS missed out on removing that option from the BIOS.

Maybe check if there is a BIOS upgrade available for your device.
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X200MA/HelpDesk_Download/

How did you test the USB 3.0 port to "only work like USB 2.0". While USB has full downwards and upwards compatibility it doesn't mean that your old USB 2.0 device will magically run faster on that port. If you connect a USB 2.0 device to a USB 3.0 port it will only run in USB 2.0 mode.

As ha14 pointed out I too suggest to get the latest USB3 host controller driver directly from the Intel homepage. Manufacturers are often 'slow' to provide the latest drivers via their homepage (for one reason or another).

As far as Adblock is concerned it is hard to say - again, ha14 provided a good starting point.
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that while you are trying to disable ads, others are trying to make sure you see them. On top of that there is a general limitation on what an Extension can do within Chrome and Adblock is known to not always get along with it.

• Vipul Jain

Thanks Jan, sorry for a late reply, I never got an email notification of these answers.
      Actually I'm not well versed on this topic, so maybe XHCI has nothing to do with it all, and can remain disabled, but by USB 3.0 works like 2.0 I actually mean I'm not getting 3.0 speeds.
      I have a 16GB Sandisk Extreme USB3.0, which gives me read/write speeds of about 100/60MBps on my other ASUS Laptop on the 3.0 port.
      Also I updated my BIOS (was at version 500, latest was 502), but after the update, there has been no change whatsoever.
      As for the ABP, my ISP was messing around with the DNS servers, I changed them and now that's not a problem anymore. Thanks!
      I'll try ha14's mthods.

1) Plug the USB drive into a USB 2.0 port, check see its file contents in Windows File Explorer.
    2) Open Device Manager.
    3) Expand "USB Disk Drives" then right click on the drive corresponding to the USB drive
    4) Press "Uninstall". Continue with the un-installation process (do not delete the driver).
    5) Unplug the USB drive.
    6) Shutdown Windows .
    7) Boot.
    8) Plug drive into USB 3.0 port (the driver should automatically install)

if not working then open the Device Manager
    1)Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    2)Uninstall all Generic USB HUB
    Not. Keyboard and mice will cease to work, you have to shut down pc and reboot so that drivers be reinstalled you can schedule a shut down there some freeware on the internet to shutdown pc.

USB 3 will work in USB 2 if:
    •In Windows 7 device manager, the Intel(R) USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver is not installed or disabled
    •It can be that in BIOS, the USB 3.0 port is downgraded to USB 2.0

Intel(R) USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver (iusb3hcs).
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129
    open device manager switch to view: Devices By Connection check if you have Intel(R) USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver
    in windows 7 maybe it is under PCI BUS, right click PCI BUS and then Properties then click on details check if under property (device lower filters, from the drop down menu) there is iusb3hcs

Read first if you still see ads on Chrome
    https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21766

Just on your first first point. Yes, we are making a number of big changes to MakeUseOf, including to the login system and logins have been disabled for a limited time while we make those changes. They will come back!

• Vipul Jain

Glad that it's just temporary. Though I'm not even getting notification for answers now on the email id I used to post this. Glitch?

• Oron J

Vipul, I'll check. They clearly still work some of the time, since I got a notification for your comment!