Why does my USB 3.0 flash drive not work when plugged into USB 3.0 ports?

goku November 10, 2014

I recently bought an HP 16GB 3.0 Pen drive. I have a HP pavillion with 1 USB 2.0 port and 2 USB 3.0 port. Every port is working. I have checked with a USB Mouse, keyboard and USB 2.0 pen drive.

Now with my new pen drive, it works fine on USB 2.0 port with speeds that it’s supposed to give but when I plug it into the 3.0 ports I can see the LED glow on the drive but it just doesn’t show in the computer. No pop-ups, no trace in My computer or device manager, anywhere. It’s like nothing is plugged in.

I have installed the latest USB 3.0 drivers but it’s of no help.my os in windows 8.11

Any solutions?

1. Jermie Hunter

I think reasons may arise here for which this problem is happening and those are:
    1. You have said that both the USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) are working properly and also you have checked that with the use of external drives or output device before. It is quite clear that no hardware problem is there.
    2. Your new 16GB 3.0 Pen drive is working properly after you are interesting it through the 2.0 USB port but it's not working through 3.0 USB port. So this may be due to the loose in connection while inserting through 3.0 USB port. Because, sometimes this happens while inserting and I have also that sort of experience as well. You can again insert your Pen drive through that port perfectly.
    3. You are also telling that you can LED glow on the Pen drive after inserting it through the 3.0 USB port but it is not showing on your computer, which means some port problems are there and that might among one of these.
    A. The computer does not support USB 3.0 drive.
    B. Incorrect USB drivers may be installed on your computer.
    C. Host controller hardware malfunction may be possibility.
    D. Issues with attached devices or Hubs.

4. Software issues sometimes result in device manager problems and also network adapters do not work properly as a result of that. To overcome such a problem you can go for system restore. Wish you all the best.

2. Doc

There is no such OS as "Windows 8.11" :) The latest version is Windows 8.1 with Update 1 (April 2014) or Update 2 (August 2014).

Did the USB 3.0 ports come preinstalled in the computer? If it's an add-on card, you may need to look up the correct drivers from the manufacturer's website. The laptop I'm using right now has a USB 3.0 port manufactured by Fresco Logic, and a device driver from Windows Update caused it to stop working; I had to remove the update, find the correct device driver for it, and hide the update when it was offered by Windows Update again. Try rolling back any device driver update that was installed, or reinstalling the drivers (remove any existing driver, reboot, then reinstall the drivers you have).
    You didn't mention if you have any other USB 3.0 devices to try with it; if so, do any of these devices work with it? Is it only this USB drive that doesn't work? It's rare, but it may be that only this USB drive that is incompatible with the USB controller.

open device manager
    expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    right click on Generic Superspeed USB Hub and choose uninstall (do not delete)
    reboot