Why is the URL to my website only found when I include the ‘www’ in the address?

Ifham khan June 7, 2011

When I type geekspalace.com, the server returns this error: “The requested URL / was not found on this server.”

However, when I start with www, it works fine. Please help me!

1. Romy Singh

Use Google Webmaster Tool to resolve this problem. or You can contact your hosting company and ask him to apply 301 redirect to your domain.....

2. Shamrocksu88

In your .htaccess file you need to configure your server to allow "www" requests.

Insert this into the top of your .htaccess file, making sure that ‘RewriteEngine On’ comes before it:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.geekspalace.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.geekspalace.com/$1 [R=301,L]

More information: http://www.jooria.com/Tutorials/website-programming-16/force-www-in-your-website-url-136/

Hey Jeffery,
                  I am completely love your solution, but the problem is that I am using blogspot platform, So there is no file like .htaccess. Can you please give the solution on how to configure custom domain for blogger.com

The alternative would be to add the missing A-record for your DNS zone (geekspalace.com) pointing to the same target IP or Host as the "www" entry.

• PayneLess Designs

If you are paying for hosting your own domain name, then you can add your own .htaccess file in the root directory and use the rewrite statements as given. Just because there is no file doesn't mean there can't be one made.

All this would be done through the cPanel after you log into it. In fact, if it is cPanel, you have a .htaccess editor along with everything you need for your domain.

This is only if you purchased server space to host your domain name.

Ron