After uploading a WordPress database how do I get it to visualize?

Anonymous April 24, 2014

This is regarding the following article: How To Migrate Your Locally Developed WordPress Site To A Live Server How To Migrate Your Locally Developed Wordpress Site To A Live Server How To Migrate Your Locally Developed Wordpress Site To A Live Server We’ve talked a lot in the past about running local web servers for development purposes or to try out software such as Wordpress without having to pay for hosting, but how do you take it... Read More  by James Bruce.

Unfortunately I discovered your very useful post three years too late, but still I’d like to ask you a question, hoping that it’s not too global and making no sense. Since I’m but a newbie in this field. So here it goes:

I uploaded my offline WordPress site according to your tutorial, sort of successfully. “Sort of” meaning I can log in to the WordPress Admin “area”, I can see the uploaded database in the server’s own PHPMaAdmin, but although all my data has been transferred via FTP, the WordPress site is not there.

What did I do wrong?

1. Shubhashish S

You can also install phpmyadmin, make it accessible via an alias. Protect it with strong password.

Hello. I'm afraid that is a little vague, but I assume when you say "site is not there" - you mean you're getting a blank page? In that case, try the steps outlined here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-500-internal-server-errors-and-blank-white-pages-in-wordpress/

• kalledarcy

Hi James, thanks for your swift reply, I feared that my question was to vague...
      Meanwhile my problem has shifted:
      I exported the WXR (xml format) file from the offline version and imported it to the online version, now the site structure, menu, theme alterations are all there, but all media data like images and video files aren't there. I guess there must be a problem with the referring links, because all data has been uploaded via http://FTP...
      p.s.: Great link, thanks for the useful hints!