Why can I only upload certain file types to SkyDrive through Explorer?

RandomRage August 9, 2010

Following Jessica Wong’s directions on MakeUseOf How to Upload & Sync Files to SkyDrive from Windows Explorer How to Upload & Sync Files to SkyDrive from Windows Explorer Read More , I have successfully mapped my SkyDrive to Windows 7 file Explorer. However, I am only able to upload document file types (Office files, .pdf, .txt) and nothing else, despite file size. Any other file type will throw up a file size error instead of copying over. Is this a restriction in the WebDAV protocol that changed since the article was written?

1. Wsplawn

Jessica,

FYI. When you are at the web site for your SkyDrive and if you drag and drop a file of a type like .gif, this works.

Your comments about 7zip surprised me a little. I do have 7 zip but see no particular advantage as it relates to my SkyDrive, or were you just promoting its capabilities as it relates to drives that are not sky drives?

Best Regards

2. zack

Use Gladinet (http://www.gladinet.com) can upload files in original name.

• Wsplawn

Zack,

I have tried third party tools like Gladinet and my experience so far is that they don't seem ready for prime time. I installed one that is advertised as one of the better ones and subsequently my ability to save a WORD or Excel file directly to a SkyDrive went way. When I uninstalled the program, the ability came back.

Surely someone will put out a quality utility soon but at present I am sceptical.

3. Jessica Cam W.

That's a nice observation. I guess being able to upload only Office files to SkyDrive via Windows Explorer is a consequence of Windows Live introducing Office Live (which lets you make basic edits in Office documents online).Workaround: If you rename any of your non-Office files to an Office file extension (in Windows Explorer, press F2 to rename the file name, e.g. jpg to txt), you'll be able to copy them. After you've copied them, just rename the files in Windows Explorer (.txt back to .jpg). If you go to Extra Large Icon view, the thumbnails won't reflect the changes right away, but will eventually.Also, if you happen to use 7-zip, check out the 7-zip File Manager (included when you installed 7-zip, just look it up in the Start menu search box), which does a much better job at copying files (it can copy large files between regular folders instantly) without getting stuck as often as Windows Explorer, unless you prefer going the GUI-less way and using the command line.

4. Wsplawn

I too would like to know the answer to this question