Why after upgrading my BIOS was my virtualization settings in BIOS deleted?

Ahmed I December 19, 2013

So after I updated my motherboard’s BIOS to the latest version, my virtualization software appears to have been disabled. When I open VMware, I cannot install 64-bit programs. When I access my BIOS settings I cannot see my virtualization settings to enable it.

Any ideas? I want enable virtualization. Is there any hack or something that will do it?

Flashing the BIOS generally resets everything to default since the entire chip is being erased before the new BIOS is put in place. You should always take not of them beforehand and make sure to have everything set back afterwards e.g. the SATA AHCI/RAID setting and such.

Have you looked around for new menus or sub-menus within the BIOS? On occasion seldom used options are placed deeper into the menu.
    Other then that I suggest to read the changelog for the new BIOS to see if it states something about the virtualization option, maybe it has been renamed.

It's usually listed as either "Virtualization Technology", "Intel VT-d" and found either within the advanced CPU settings or the advanced BIOS features.