How can I upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7?

SID January 7, 2012

I have a Windows 7 disk that came with my new laptop a year ago. Do I need to prepare anything before I play the disk in order to update? Thanks.

Before you upgrade make sure you are upgrading for the good.
    If you're running Windows Vista Ultimate and your Windows 7 disk is just STARTER or HOME BASIC then don't upgrade. Upgrade only if its Windows 7 Ultimate. ;.) Good luck!

well if you insert the windows 7 disk and choose upgrade function, then all your files will be preserved and the upgrade will also create windws.old file, from there i think is possible to recover files if somehow they were deleted.

Hello, the link below explains a little bit more about what you need to do when upgrading.  It explains about the upgrade and custom install.  Make sure to read everything.  Make sure your computer is running with no problems, service packs available are installed and it is virus/malware free. Also make sure your drive is defragmented.  Once all of the above are done, make sure to run the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor(link provided) 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7