Can I upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate N to the regular Windows Ultimate?

Arsalan Ahmad June 5, 2011

I have Windows 7 Ultimate N installed on my PC and for some reason I need to change to the regular Windows Ultimate. I’ve heard that changing from Ultimate N to Ultimate K is not possible, but want to know if it is possible to upgrade from Ultimate N to the regular Ultimate before buying it?

I want to upgrade because the Ultimate N on my used PC is pirated and I want to change it to a genuine Windows Ultimate.

1. Geek

If you have nothing to preserve on your computer as it is, just do a fresh install of Windows from a full retail version. But if you have installed programs and bookmarks and etc and you want to preserve them in place, you can use the program PCMover from Laplink. PCMover will save your installed programs and data and layout and registry entries for all that, let you install a fresh new operating system, then move everything back in place and it all works - except Microsoft and Adobe programs, which they've disabled on purpose (on purpose of legal threats from MS and A) ...those programs will be put back in place, installed, on your computer but you will have to reactivate and/or reenter their serial numbers to activate. But PCMover works and is the only way to move everything intact from one computer to another or from one Windows system to another fresh Windows install. Here's one hint: if you have directories or folders which are purely data only and don't need to be "installed", move those directories off to a USB drive and delete them from the operating system drive and take that USB drive offline before using PCMover. That will let PCMover do its job much faster.

• Arsalan Ahmad

Can I make a backup of the whole windows partition using the built-in backup wizard in Windows 7 and then restore it afterwards? Will it restore all my installed programs and settings? I want to preserve the hundreds of installed programs and drivers etc. The non-installed data has already been stored in another partition.

I agree with FIDELIS on this.
    You never really know what System files (especially the Windows Kernel) have been altered to make the pirated version work. Even if the upgrade does finish without errors you might face problems with Windows Update or other Genuine checks in the long run. 

Since you mentioned some of those special Editions of Windows:
    The "E" Editions are European versions which do not include Internet Explorer. Instead you get the Browser Choice screen (I think this is default for all Editions now)
    The "N" Editions are European versions which do not include Windows Media Player and associated programs (e.g. Windows Media Center, Windows DVD Maker, ...)
    The "K" Editions are special Korean versions which include download links to a third-party Media Player and Instant Messenger as required by the Korean Fair Trade Commission.
    The "KN" Edition obviously is a combination of the above.

Both the K and KN Editions are targeted to the Korean market only. They are usually not available outside Korea and they are (as far as I know) only available in Korean language.

Hello, I do not think it is a good idea to upgrade an operating system if the operating system you have installed is pirated.....Besides, most times upgrades do not work out without glitches.  My advice to you is to start new with a clean install. 

Hi Try Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/suu/

Download Windows Ultimate, burnt to a DVD, insert the DVD in the DVD slot, and then ran the Setup to upgrade.

others tried this. opene regedit and searche from the top for "Ultimate N". As it found each one, open the value and delete only the " N". (That is the space between Utilmate and the letter N). Then ran the Ultimate as an upgrade from within Windows.

• Arsalan Ahmad

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try the registry method. BTW, the search only found 2 results for "ultimate n". I changed them both to "ultimate"