Should I upgrade my video card even if the new card has less memory?

Osama Javaid March 5, 2012

I was wondering why an Nvidia GTX series video card like the GTX 550 TI is more expensive than a GT card like the GT430, even though the GTX often has less memory. For example, I have a GT430 with 2GB of DDR3 RAM, and it costs about $78. On the other hand, a 1GB DDR5 GTX 550 Ti costs around $143. Would it make sense to upgrade my GT430 to a GTX 550 Ti even though it has less RAM?

1. kandi

It is all about the number of processing units in the video card. The GTX550 is way more powerful than the GTX430. However, if you didn't build the computer yourself you have to be careful because most pre-built computer will not take the best graphics cards. The reason for that is the power supplies in pre-built computers often are too weak and/or don't have the necessary extra power connector for the best graphics card. Currently, the best graphics card that will work without a extra power connector and in a computer with like only a 300 watt power supply is the Radeon 7750. See http://www.whichgraphicscard.com for help selecting a graphics card.

Hope that helps.

In general a x30 series card is usually slower than a x50 series card except if you are comparing over multiple generation like an old GTX 250 against an GT 530.

Having that said the memory really only matter when comparing the same series e.g. a GTX 550 Ti with 1GB vs. one with 2GB. Actually, 2GB of graphics memory are sort of a waste of money because a GT 430 won't really run anything that requires that much memory.

If you take a look at the charts here you will also see that the GT 430 is rated as a Business and Home PC card [which usually refers to Office application and watching videos]. The GTX 550 on the other hand is at the lower end of the gamer segment.

And finally the Geforce 500 series is newer than the 400 series. The GT 430 is using an older GF108 chip wherein the GTX 550 Ti has the newer GF116 chip. Technical details can be found on Wikipedia

it depends on what you want to do, if you dont play heavy games on pc and online then GT430 is enough, unless you do 3D applications, photoshop... then better GTX550.

GeForce GT 430 (OEM) vs GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    http://www.hwcompare.com/9702/geforce-gt-430-oem-vs-geforce-gtx-550-ti/

• Osama

yes I do gaming and even Battlefield 3 runs fine on GT430 but I am also into video editing and I guess I need a GTX if I wanted to use After effects with loads of layers etc.

4. M.S. Smith

The reason is marketing, plain and simple.

Both AMD and Nvidia know that some people will look at the amount of available RAM and assume more is better. It's really the only number on a video card that is easy to advertise. So, they make some inexpensive cards with gobs of RAM knowing that uninformed consumers will buy them.

In truth, 1GB is all you need in cards with this level of performance, and the GTX 550 Ti is going to be faster. Also, the GTX 550 Ti has a faster type of RAM (DDR5) so the memory bandwidth may not be lower despite having less RAM. I wouldn't be able to tell you if that's the case without testing both, though.

So yes, you should upgrade.