Should I upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to Ubuntu 11.04?

Gautam May 11, 2011

Should I upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 from 10.10?
I am not at all comfortable with the Unity interface.
Should I upgrade and just use the classic interface or just wait for 11.10?

1. pat

I don't like it. It's not user friendly at all.

2. Phil

No, if you are/were happy with 10.10 don't do it.
    I dist-upgraded and have regretted it ever since.

Have to restart bluetooth service and re-pair my mouse on every boot.
    Power on with a usb hard disk plugged in leads to mounting errors (for some reason the external disk becomes either sda or sdb, even though I have 2 internal drives in my laptop.)
    The implementation of the global menus is awful.
    Same for the new scroll bars (easily removed though).
    Systray icons don't show even if whitelist all in dconf-editor

If you previously set your min/max/close buttons to the right hand side, be prepared for a surprise if in unity (on the right when windowed, on the left when maximised).

I've been using Ubuntu since 2005 and this is the first time the new version has felt like a massive step backwards. 11.04 has been out for over a month and it still feels more like a beta/RC.

3. SDFGHJKL

Ubuntu 11.04 irritating as HELL. I'M THINKING LINUX TOOK THE WRONG TURN HERE. What the heck are these clowns thinking? IF WE WANTED A HYBRID BETWEEN MAC OS & WIN7 WITH THE MOST DUMBING IDIOTPROOF O.S. TO DATE, -TO-THE-POINT-YOU-WANNA RIP YOUR FACE OFF BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING, INSTALL THIS PIECE OF CRAP. ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. IT'S WAY WAY WAY TOO SIMPLIFIED TO THE POINT THAT IT GIVES VERY LITTLE CUSTOMISING CONTROL AND CONTROL IN GENERAL. MAYBE MY GRAMMA USES HER COMPUTER TO DO ONLY THIS: INTERNET/EMAIL/CHAT, VIEW PICS, VIEW MOVIES, TYPE SOME ESSAY, AND LISTEN TO MUSIC. BUT THE REST OF US DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN WE HAVE LINUX BACK TO THE TRAJECTORY 10.04/10.10 WAS GOING ON? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

• sarcasm

Would you like some fries with your elitism?

• JHJFKHF

"Linux" itself didn't take the wrong turn here, Canonical did. Every other major distro is going forward with Gnome3, while Canonical decided to throw Ubuntu into Unity.

4. risman

Just try the live CD (or live USB), and see if you feel comfortable with it

• Gautam

I did try it on live usb , and Hated it , cause I had many problems and irritations .

5. Roy

I just upgraded, and I'm really not crazy about the interface myself. But that's not to say there's anything wrong with the new Unity desktop; I'm simply not accustomed to using it. There are things that don't work the way I'm used to, but there are also a lot of good things built into it that I find useful.

I decided to keep and use the Unity interface, at least for a while, for one simple reason: it's the same experience I had when I first started using Linux. I'm not used to it, things aren't where I expect them to be, and I have to re-learn some things. Once I got past those hurdles as a new Linux user, I found that I actually liked the new and different aspects. I'm trying to be open-minded enough to give Unity a chance to make that happen again.

And of course, as you mentioned, if the Unity interface doesn't grow on you, you can still boot into Gnome!

• Gautam

I was just wondering if there is any other improvement other than The unity interface , Because I am very Comfortable with 10.10 , Should I really take the trouble to upgrade if I am going to only be using Classic Gnome .

• Roy

Really I think the improvements only become apparent when you give Unity a chance and allow it to grow on you.

One of the biggest improvements, for me personally, is that they (for lack of a better way to put it) copied Aero Snap from Windows 7. When I use my Windows machine, I find that feature quite helpful. It's nice to see it built into a Linux distro by default. One less reason to rely on Windows for certain tasks.

The quick search is also pretty useful. Again, it's nothing really new or innovative, but it's something that has come up to par with current versions of Windows and OS X. But you only see the usefulness and cool factor of it once you use it a bit. That goes back to what I was saying about giving it a fair shot at impressing me. So far that's one thing that I've liked a lot.

The dock is not bad either. I don't like it quite as much as the dock on OS X or the taskbar in Windows, but it's very usable. And it's much better if you install the Compiz Settings Manager and customize it a bit. I have mine set at the smallest setting, and set to auto-hide.

Since I use Ubuntu on a laptop, having the menu bars of applications moved into the top panel (like OS X) is a plus. It gives me just a little more space for the actual application window on screen, and screen space is somewhat limited on a laptop.

• Josh Fox

Just a note... KDE has been doing "Aero Snap" for quite some time. I think it may have been since before Windows got it even.

• Roy

Interesting, I haven't really looked at KDE since late 2006, when I first started using Linux. At that point I didn't care for KDE much, I found that I like Gnome much better. But I'm not surprised to hear that there have been major improvements in it, as with anything in the OSS community. Maybe I'll check KDE out again some time.

• Danny Stieben

I myself have been a long-time GNOME user, but am currently having serious thoughts about switching over to KDE. Lately I've always thought that KDE was a great working environment, and with the latest changes coming in KDE 4.7, I can say that it can do everything I want to do with it (primary problem was lack of CalDAV for me). Currently on my Fedora 14 system I have both GNOME and KDE installed, though I am currently booting into KDE only to spend more time with it.

• Josh Fox

A lot of people say that OpenSUSE does the best job at implementing KDE4. Might be something to consider if you're looking for a good KDE4 platform and aren't locked into any specific distribution. I haven't used it myself, but plan to in the near future as soon as I get some new hardware.

I started using KDE when I first started using Linux over 11 years ago. It was my primary desktop the whole time because I liked it a lot better than Gnome. Over time, Gnome made improvements and when KDE4 was released and still very unstable and incomplete, I switched entirely to Gnome. Now, I'm making the switch again since Unity and Gnome 3 both look like something that belongs on my tablet and not my desktop.