Should I upgrade every time a program asks me to do so?

Lara July 9, 2011

You know how every minute programs ask you to upgrade to the new version? Is there a negative side to upgrading?up

1. timsboot

I updated  windows 7 uoltimate on a Dell XPS 1645 laptop and lost the use of the eject disc function.  Worked again after a system restore, but then the computer ran the updates again!!!!  What automatic updates will do for you - HA

2. Anomaly

I make it a policy to NEVER update when an update first becomes available. I do this on Windows, Linux, and Mac for all updates including updates for the OS. I have lost count how many times an update has ruined a perfectly running program or system. I always wait a little while to see if there are any major issues reported for the update before I do my update. 

• Carol

Good advice.

Normally the message should alert if the upgrade is free for the current version or requires a small fees, also some soft comes with lifetime free update so you should check the upgrade policy of the soft.

It all depends on what changed in the program.  If the new version fixes security problems, you should apply the update.  If it is just changes in functionality - especailly if it only adds something you don't need/won't user - or the user interface, it can generally wait until enough other people take the risk first.  For example, the move from Firefox 3.x.x to Firefox 4.0 is one that I didn't immediately make since it broke extensions I used on a daily basis and there were not security fixes involved that were not backported to version 3.6.x.  Now many people are up in arms because Firefox 4 does not ask you to upgrade to Firefox 5, it just blindly upgrades you even though it again breaks the extensions being used.

You may want to install Secunia PSI (available at http://www.secunia.com) which monitors the programs you have installed and will inform you when any of your applications have security-related patches/upgrades available.  By using this, you can help to keep your computer more secure by ensuring that known security holes have been patched on your system.  Programs that have upgrades/updates available that are not listed by this program are not fixing security holes and are not as important to install.

I agree ~ it depends on the program. For commercial software I think it's a good idea because it usually means improvements in stability and functionality.

For random tools from the internet I would always take a peak at the release notes. In some cases developers decide to go commercial with their software and the update will result in you running a limited trial copy.

If possible I always keep a copy of the older version just in case ~ sometimes you will also see a newer version changing it's interface or core which you may not like.

Hello, what kind of programs are we talking about?  The only negative side to upgrading that I can see, is that sometimes when upgrading the program to a new/more advanced operating system it might not work.....or it works but it does not have all the functionality. Hope it helps.