What’s the best upgrade for my nephew’s PC?

Andy Dufresne August 21, 2012

My nephew would like a new computer, and I’d like to get them an upgrade that is better than his current system. I am not computer whiz when it comes to hardware, so what would you suggest to upgrade to, from:

AMD Phenim II X2 555
Windows 7 64-bit

1. garva sharma

SSD (solid state drive)

2. Justin Ellenwood

Ram is fine, and the OS is great. Getting a better processor and motherboard is the way to go. I would go with an i5, just make sure that the ram can be used with the new motherboard you get.

3. dan pozdnyakov
  4. Alex Meyer

I would suggest upgrading the ram since the CPU is very good. The CPU could be better but for gaming that's just fine.

For the ram I would upgrade that to 8GB running at 1600

5. Nikhil Chandak

upgrade his system to Windows 8

6. Rohit Chaurasia

Hey Andy, I would suggest you go for the following configuration: AMD fx8150 [Black Edition]:This would be almost twice as fast as your current processor. RAM is sufficient at 6 gb opt for a graphic card if its a gaming rig An ATI graphic card would do great with an amd processor motherboard should be a gigabyte 880 m Windows 7 x64 is alright you could even upgrade your hdd to 2 TB. In-case you dont find the parts locally you could always visit our website at http://www.blitztech.co.in We assure you the best rates. Happy Computing :) Cheers, Blitztech Team

7. Alex Perkins

You should probably get a separate graphics card if the computer is used for playing games, what about this?

No extra cables to plug into it, just plug it into the motherboard and plug in the display(s). Everything else is pretty good.

8. Kao Vang

With the prices of Solid State Drives, grab one.

9. Lambvolution

you can add GPU Card to make your PC more useful for video editing, gaming and edit photos

10. Benjamin Glass

Put as much memory as the computer's motherboard allows into that thing! You can find the maximum amount on the motherboard manufacturers website; you can find out what motherboard you have at the computer manufacturers website. However (as someone already said) this setup sounds pretty good to me already.

11. Ben Mordecai

A solid state hard drive.

12. jrasulev

Not bad choice. Good for gaming purpose

13. Dalsan

As Kannon said, we may have misunderstood your question from upgrading the PC parts for upgrading the system to a newer PC. For a better PC, I would go with the Intel "i" series chip only if the PC would be used heavily for games and video editing, so long as you include a decent graphics card in the system. AMD APU chips would do the job well for regular use and moderate gaming without the need for getting a graphics card and at a cheaper price. A solid state drive would be great, but is costly and very technical to set up. 64 bit Windows is highly recommended, along with at least 4GB RAM, 6GB of 1066MHz memory or more would be better. Other things to look for but not as important as of now would be USB 3 ports or connectivity instead of USB 2 as USB 3 is not widely used yet, but will be in the future. These areas are most important for pre-built systems, but the motherboard would be included in importance for custom built systems.

• Dalsan

As far as Intel or AMD, i5 Intel chips would be about minimum you should consider, and the A-6 AMD APU would be minimum for AMD as far as better longevity and performance, though the i3 and A-4 would be okay, just might get similar performance as the system he already has.

14. April Eum

6GB ram is pretty decent, compared to stock computers that comes usually around 4GB minimum, however AMD Phenim II X2 555 is a bit outdated as for most computers should run with intel's i5 giving it a good go for both multitasking and if maybe he's a pc gamer, where it should be no problem. windows 7 is a-okay since that is the latest window os out right about now, however, if you want to try a new layout, definitely wait for windows 8 to come out.

Hello Andy - I too am a Stephen King fan!

It seems some of the commentators may have misunderstood your question - if I have read it correctly, you are asking for a brand-new, complete computer, rather than the parts required for an upgrade.

If so, some of the most radical improvements you can make to a computer (such as upgrading to an SSD) require a fair amount of computer expertise, such as installation and preparation. Those aren't viable avenues for someone who isn't a computer junkie.

I can provide a very simple, non-technical answer - your nephew already has an excellent computer for normal use such as browsing and word processing. If he is experiencing slow-down, it's because of malware/viruses/etc.. and the best course of action would be to take it in to a repair shop.

However, if he plays games or just wants a beefier computer, I'd suggest upgrading to a system with a modern Intel CPU:

If he games, he would also want a graphics processing unit. A good value for a Graphics processing unit would be $80.

A computer technician should be willing to install one for a fairly low fee. Call around for quotes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If you like to have a latest hardware for your PC,then take Intel core i5-3570K -

and if you have more money,then go for Asus P8Z77-M PRO motherboard -

Else,Asus P8H77-M PRO is good but doesn't supports overclocking features -

If interested in gaming,then recently launched Asus GTX 660Ti is good -

You also might want to have a good quality PSU like Cosair 600 W -

For better cooling,you can get Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (processor fan) -

17. Paul Pruitt

Go on Amazon and look for a high quality Solid State Drive of say 120 GB. make sure that is also on the new computer or laptop along with a separate bigger conventional Hard Drive. Make sure the operating system is installed on the SSD.

The difference in the computer speed upgrading the hard drive where the operating system is stored from a conventional hard drive to an SSD is bigger than any other upgrade you can make.

• Paul Pruitt

This is what I have and it is on sale for $80: http://amzn.to/MJ5sCY

18. Dalsan

Along with upgrading system parts, I would do some cleaning with CCleaner or IOBit Advanced System Care and use Tweaking.com Simple Performance Boost to help gain a little more resources for a little more speed. Getting a solid state drive for the Windows operating system and programs would provide a much faster experience and use the regular hard drive for media files such as pictures, music, and videos. A decent graphics card would help in speed on certain tasks, also. The processor is good, but a quad core or six core Phenom CPU would make things run even better, also. The solid state drive, graphics card and using Simple Performance Boost should give a faster and better than new performance out of the existing computer for around $150 to $200, maybe a little cheaper if you buy from a reputable online store like http://www.newegg.com.

How is the computer used? Even for gaming, those components aren't that bad if he also has a dedicated video card in the system as well. Depending on how the system is used, he may not need to go with a "new everything" and instead just upgrade existing components. It would also be helpful to know the motherboard in the current system, type of hard or solid-state drive(s) in the system, if he is using on-board graphics or has a video adapter in the system, the type and speed of RAM, etc. The processor and amount of RAM is very little to base an opinion on.

20. jessemanalansan

Maybe get a more powerful processor such as AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X4/AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 then probably if he does not have a dedicated graphics card, maybe get a 1 gigabyte of dedicated video card.

Though in my opinion, if he's really not into gaming or such, the current specs are alright. It would also depend on where or what he uses the PC (work, school, etc.)