Can I upgrade my laptop’s Core 2 Duo processor?

Arsalan July 28, 2010

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre 8810-W3L. It has a 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo processor. Can the processor be replaced by a faster Core 2 Duo processor?

1. Mohamed Simah

If it's a desktop sure.

2. Muhammad Mehran

I am not sure

3. M.S. Smith

I'm confused. Isn't the Thinkcenter the desktop line?

If it is a desktop then yes, you can upgrade. You just need to identify what processor socket the computer currently has and then buy an upgraded processor for that socket. I recommend using a program like CPU-Z to find out.

If it is a laptop you might be able to replace it. Check your manual or call Lenovo to see if the processor is user serviceable. However, laptop processors are both harder to find and very expensive, so you might be better of just buying a new laptop altogether.

I'm the questioner. Sorry about writing laptop. I dont even know how I could write that. Maybe I was in a hurry. Anyways, your help proved to be very "helpfull". Thanks!

• William Brand

Make sure you read my reply and do all the research.

• William Brand

"You just need to identify what processor socket the computer currently has"

Not quite true, he also needs to find out what bus speed his motherboard supports. For a while all Core 2 Duos were running a 1066 bus speed but now the newer ones use 1333. Socket-wise I think they all use LGA 775.

Oh, thanks for pointing out the bus speed. Mine is 1066 so the best processor for me should be E7500 right?

• William Brand

You'll want to Google the specs for your motherboard's model number. My motherboard supports 1333 chips but it actually came out before any were available.

There's an E7600 which is a 3.06 Ghz dual core chip. That's probably your best bet if it only supports 1066 processors. Check your motherboard specs/manual first though :)

do I also have to change the power supply for the new processor?

• William Brand

Good question, but probably not -- especially if you don't switch to a quad core.However, it's good to know what your power supply's wattage rating is and how much power you're sucking down. A Core 2 Duo will usually run about 60 watts if I remember correctly, while a quad will (as expected) run up to 120 watts. It's usually pretty easy to look up watt usage for your video card, and then you can assume 10-15 per hard drive and CD drive. My friend has a gaming system hooked up with 450 watts, and for a gaming computer that's almost as low as you want to go. A normal computer that's for web surfing might be fine with much less, and I've seen computers with 300 included all the time.Obviously you might not want to calculate that, but it's good to at least get a rough estimate in your head. I personally don't keep a tally because I have an 800w power supply and I know I'll never hit that limit. (I had lower but when I sent it in for warranty they were out of stock)

EDIT: Note that you will probably run way below your power supply's limit 99% of the time, so the big numbers might seem unneeded. This is because you're more safeguarding yourself against those power spikes under demanding conditions, and because with more room you'll stress your power supply much less.