Can I upgrade my laptop from Core i3 to Core i5?

Brahmaji January 16, 2012

I want to upgrade my laptop from a Core i3 to a Core i5 because I found my laptop often runs at full CPU usage and is is overheating. Sometimes it shutdowns due to overheating. I think the laptop is find except the processor so how can I upgrade it? Is this possible?

1. star3098

if you got something from Apple then you can't change your possessor if you got ASUS, ACER, MSI, CLEVO,HP etc, then changing the possessor won't take more that 5 min.

2. Sam

there is nothing wrong with it. use a cooling pad or use your laptop on a plain surface so that it gets proper air ventilation.

3. Echo_guitar04

hello, just want to share.. im having a same problems, like you... first i thought it was the RAM problem.. but, no im wrong.. it was a BUG from windows.. which is you can find in task manager.. it was "presentationfont cache.exe" or something, i dont really remember,im sorry, it was eating up my CPU process up to 75% while i m doing nothing.. its a problem with net framework 0.4.. search the sollution on google...
    and also some process like "whysors.dll" or something (usually its a game crack)( i got this from batman arkham assylum crack "not the original" :P).. LOL.. btw the antivirus wont read this as a virus.. well, i simply uninstall that batman game :( ...

other annoying bug is "rundll.exe" ( its a windows file but the real virus its inside that process..) well, i just simply right click that process on task manager processes tab and select "end process tree"
    one more annoying process is dllhost.exe.. i solved it with the same step as rundll.exe

i hope it will help you.. y know, i3 isnt a bad processor... it still rocks!! i can play assassins creed revelation and the witcher 2 on it.. pretty heavy eh??? LOL its real.. and play a game like DMC 4 flawlessly :) good luck...

o yeah.. if you dont use an original windows.. dont up date it,, and search for a new loader.. :) LONG LIVE PIRACY LOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Brahmaji

Thankyou for ur suggestions,  but i didnt find any ur suggested problems.
        rundll.exe i find rundll32 in my lap but its a basic file, I dont think ending it is a good idea

Any how its working fine..

4. Brahmaji

I think that might be some dust accumulated since long time, gonna clear it out asap. Thank You All For Your Valuable Suggestions.

• Brahmaji

Any How I Attached My Windows Exp Index Depending on That i3 to i5 change over Will BE Better or not.

Thanking you

for some reasons i3 do not score very well? 

• 42.1415

My second gen i3 scores a 6.6 with it's internal GPU as a 6.3...

before upgrade cpu, try to format (before that make backup of files, format erase all data in the hard drive or partition) laptop and to reinstall windows, see this will solve overheating problems, sometime driver conflict, corruption of windows cause this problem.

if you can't clean inside laptop from dust... then look for a technician.

check also if you can increase RAM.

Hello, Even if it is possible to change the CPU is not going to help your laptop with the overheating.  Either you have a faulty cooling solution in your laptop or your laptop does not have a very good cooling/air flow design.  Getting a cooling pad should help a bit.

It depends on the manufacturer and model whether this is possible. Some use a socket for the CPU while others solder them directly to the circuit board. The bad news is in most cases you won't find out without opening the notebook and voiding your warranty beforehand.

The other thing is that whatever is causing your Core i3 to overheat will most likely do the same to a Core i5. This CPU change won't miraculously change the CPU load to 1/10 nor the temperature down to the half.

If your device is still in warranty you should return it for a repair because if it's overheating enough to shutdown it is most likely a faulty cooling solution or fan.

If it's not in warranty you may want to have a professional take a look at it or if you are technically confident enough open it up yourself and make sure the fan is working, not overly dusty and all parts of the cooling solution are seated fine with a proper amount of thermal conductor.

Also consider outside conditions while using it. For example make sure that none of the ventilation in- and outlets are blocked e.g. placing the laptop on a cushion or blanket. At best it is placed on a flat surface or a notebook cooler.