How can I upgrade my laptop with a bigger hard drive and more RAM?

khaleel June 22, 2011

I want to increase my laptop memory. Presently, I have 250GB HDD and 2GB DDR SDRAM. My proceseesor is dual core and its speed is 2.10. I need 500 GB more HDD and 2GB more RAM. So please help me how to increase.

1. Madihsan97

by a new ram and upgrade your window
    hope it will work

2. Aksgan

Is is possible to upgrade other hardware like graphics card/network card,etc?

Aksgan,

on a desktop computer all these parts can be upgraded.

When you have a laptop, however, it's close to impossible to upgrade the graphics or network card, as they are an integral part of the motherboard. You would have to exchange the entire motherboard and you may not find one that is compatible with your laptop model.

• Aksgan

will the manufacturer do upgrading these parts?i have a lenovo laptop

Aksgan,

you can take the laptop to a shop and ask them to do the upgrade for you. That's the easiest solution. I don't think Lenovo will do the upgrade for you, although if they do, I'm sure it will cost you an arm and a leg. Take it to a local shop that sells the parts that you want to upgrade.

3. Pie_Face

Very easily!
    Most notebooks/ laptops have 2 panels on the underside. 1 for the HDD and the other for memory slots.
    Buy 2x 2gb SD mem ($40 each)  and install. and purchase a 2.5" HD. They are about $70/ 500 Gb... go for 1TB if available.

Back in the day, you had to be careful as the the amount of pins and connectors etc. but these days it is very standardized, a 250GB HDD indicates it is a fairly modern machine.
    So long as you don't have some ancient laptop you want to upgrade, you'll be fine.

A bios upgrade is usually a good idea, to ensure your machine gets the most out of the hardware upgrade. (search the make and model on the manufacturers support web site to see if any upgrades are required.)

Obviously a clean OS install is required, so ensure you have the DVD and serial number.

Your old HDD can be mounted as an external HDD if you buy a casing for it ($30), there fore all your data will still be available and you can delete any old OS files to give you even more space.

Have fun.

Hello, without knowing what kind of laptop you have, it is hard to give specific advice.  I would say you can increase your RAM to two 2GB sticks to make it 4GB.  In order for you to do that, you have to find out what kind of RAM you use and also, you have to take the old memory sticks out.  With regards to the harddrive, it would be better to get a portable harddrive.  If you buy a new internal hard drive, you would have to take the old one out and reformat it before installing the operating system.  Most manufacturers provide a license that can only be tied to the hardware on your laptop, therefore you might need to get a new license for it. 

Changing the memory and harddrive is not hard to do on a laptop...but if you are not comfortable with opening the laptop, you better get somebody to do it for you.  There are a lot of tutorials online about how to open your laptop.  If you provide a model and brand on a reply, I can look for tutorials for you. 

5. chronologie

it's will depend on type of your notebook. i Think, you can't add more the harddrive. You must buy the new harddrive of 500 GB, because notebook harddrive can't be paralleled excepted you convert it into USB drive or you buy external harddisk.
    The Memory can be increased, depends how many slots on your notebook memory's slot.

6. Katharina Thiessen-Huntoon

if you need to ask , I'd suggest you not build your own. . .save your money and buy something that fits your needs.
    however. . . if you really want to there is all kinds of info to research, just get busy and research. .  .the info is all out there!

I'd hardly call upgrading the ram and hard drive "building your own". It really is a case of just slipping in the right hole. Ahem...

I agree with James. Khaleel is merely asking for a hardware upgrade, he is not about to build a new machine from scratch.

The comments by FIDELIS, chronologie, and Pie_Face are spot on. It's very possible to upgrade, but the amount of RAM and type of hard drive depends on the laptop and operating system.