How can I upgrade from iPhone OS 3.0.1 to iOS 4?

Rohit August 25, 2010

How to upgrade from iPhone OS 3.0.1 to iOS 4?

1. Mac

Upgrading iphone 3G (jailbroken) from 3.0.1 to 4 ??

2. Orenomane

I have iPhone 3GS with iOS 3.0.1 and I would like to upgrade it to iOS 3.1.3 how can I do it and it's already jailbroken,,, thanks

Just like the commenter above, you should post a new question. If the answers above don't work for you, you are not likely to receive any new answers here.

• Testing Iphone

do you know the answer

Nope, that's why I'm asking you to post a new question.

3. Lake32751

I have an Iphone with OS 3.1.3. I am trying to shut off the location services for photos only. Can it be done or do I have to upgrade to IOS 4?

Lake,

you should post your own question.

4. Rick

don't do it, i supose you have an iPhone 3G, if you do that, it will make your phone much slower, i would recommend to go as far as 3.1.3, otherwise you will have to manually keep killing the apps in order to do something else. I did the mistake to upgrade it and decided to go back to 3.1.3; besides, the new version does not help your iPhone 3G, nothing new to it, just the dock and the apps folders, you can use Categories and a theme from Cydia to do that, don't waste time updating.

•Start iTunes.

If you want to recover back os 3
    Step 1. Download iPhone 3.1.3
    Download iPhone OS 3.1.3 (.ipsw) firmware files:
    •For Windows: Navigate to c:windowssystem32driversetc then double click on the "hosts" file and open in a notepad.
    •For Mac: Navigate to the path "/etc/" and open the hosts file with TextEdit.
    Step 2. Turn Your iPhone into DFU Mode
    You need to put your iPhone into Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode in order to downgrade to 3.1.3:
    •Power off your iPhone and plug it in your PC.
    •Start iTunes.
    •Hold both the "Power and Home" buttons for about 10 seconds.
    •Release Power button but keep holding the Home button until your computer recognizes a new USB device.
    •iTunes will then recognize your iPhone.

Step 3. Restore iOS 3.1.3
    Dismiss the iTunes alert about that you're in recovery mode. Click the iPhone under the Devices bar in iTunes, then hold Shift key (Windows) or Alt key (Mac) and click the Restore button. Select the originally saved 3.1.3 firmware file.

6. Albert Wang

You can upgrade your iPhone manually by using iTunes in your PC or Mac

All you need to do is to connect your iPhone to your computer and it should automatically synchronize (or ask you whether to sync or not, depends your settings) with iTunes.
    When you can finally see your device in iTunes (and the sync is done), click on the name of your device and click on the Summary tab.

There you should be able to see several option like update or restore.
    If you like to update it to iOS 4, just click update (be sure to back your data first just in case) and wait until the download and installation finished.

Be advised that you will need the newest version of iTunes to do this update and sometimes you will be prompted whether you would like to update your iOS when you connect your iPhone.

You can download iTunes here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Or you can just visit the nearest Apple store and ask one of the Geniuses to update your iPhone for you.

I hope this answer helps.