How can I upgrade my HP Compaq computer to AMD Bulldozer CPU?

george monroe September 23, 2011

I currently have a HP Compaq DC5750SFF and I want to put a HP motherboard and processor in the mentioned box to upgrade. Is there a motherboard and Bulldozer CPU that will fit in above mentioned box? Has to be HP or hard drive will not be accessible.

I don't think you will be able to find a compatible board. The HP Small Form Factor computers usually have a proprietary I/O Port design which is not used on the common market.

From what I could find it also seems like the DC5750 is using the Micro-BTX form factor which would be another problem. The BTX format is pretty much dead for the consumer market and primarily finds usage within vendor systems like HP, Fujitsu, etc.

The next question is going to be the power supply. Often vendors will use their own proprietary power supply connector design which might not fit on any board. As an example for Fujitsu I know of at least 3 different PSU designs.

Your best chance (risks involved) is to hit eBay and look for an inexpesnive HP SFF motherboard with an AM3 socket - still doesn't guarantee it will fit.