How can I upgrade Fedora 15 from Live CD to DVD edition without losing software I installed on the former?

John August 2, 2011

I installed Fedora 15 on my computer from the Live CD that I downloaded from their website because my internet connection was slow. I installed many prorams .

Now I have got the DVD of Fedora 15, which has more software pre-installed. I want to upgrade to the DVD edition without losing the software that I installed myself. Help!

You cannot do so without seriously risking a break in your system. There is the old "add repositories" method, but that's tried and failed so many times (and doesn't really help having a DVD). 

Unless your running Fred Flintstones Walmart connection, I recommend just getting the applications yourself. The biggest difference between the CD and DVD is that the DVD comes with both KDE & Gnome (and maybe XFCE and XFDE). Only install programs you need, that should be your moddo regardless.