What happens when I let an upgrade from Eudora to Outlook happen?

Eileen Salmas September 17, 2011

When Outlook 2010 started to launch, it asked if I wanted to import email addresses from Eudora and upgrade Eudora to Outlook. If I tell it to continue – does that mean that Outlook will overwrite Eudora or just import email addresses into Outlook?

1. Peter Cain

ha14 - actually the formula you recommend does not to the trick for me. Following those directions to a T, my mail / directories / address book still resides in Eudora and not in Outlook. 
    If you or should another have something other to offer, I would appreciate it. Thanks! 

• Eileen

Hi Peter - I got bogged down with other issues and never tried to follow the instructions ha14 provided. I wanted to wait until my friend who's an IT expert was here so we could do it together.

2. Trisha

The importing of the email itself worked fine but I cannot get Outlook 2010 to import the addressbook from Eudora, either natively or saved as a CVS.

Make sure delete all messages from your Trash mailbox before you begin the import process.
    1.Launch Outlook.
    2.Make sure that you have closed all the folders in the folder tree. Select File | Import and Export.
    3.Select Import Internet Mail and Addresses.
    4.Click Next.
    5.Select Eudora (Pro and Light) 2.x, 3.x, 4.x.
    6.Check the data you wish to import—Import Address Book and/or Import Mail and click Next.
    7.Click Finish
    In order for Outlook to locate and successfully import your Eudora mailboxes and address book(s),
    The files MUST reside in the C:Program FilesQualcommEudora folder. If you store your mailboxes, address book, etc. on a network drive (e.g., H:eudora), then you need to copy the following files from H:eudora to C:Program FilesQualcommEudora before you begin the import process to Outlook:
    •*.mbx - mailbox files
    •*.toc - table of contents files
    •nndbase.txt - nickname file
    •*.fol folders - Eudora folders containing mailboxes
    •Nickname folder (if it is not empty)
    •Attach folder (if it is not empty)
    •descmap.pce - keeps track of your mailbox and folder list

• Eileen

Thank you so very much - I've printed out your instructions and will do this over the weekend when I can really concentrate.

Let us know whether or not it works out, Eileen. Good luck!

4. Mulder

You're mistaken. Outlook does not ask about upgrading Eudora to Outlook because they are two entirely different applications that have no connection. You were asked if you wanted to import your email addresses from Eudora to Outlook, and possibly if you wanted Outlook to be your new default email client.

Either way, Eudora would not be overwritten.

5. Mulder

• Eileen

Thanks so much (to a fellow X-Files fan). I didn't think it would overwrite but the way the message was worded I didn't want to take any chances with a new computer and losing all my info in Eudora.