Can I upgrade to Apple OS X Lion directly from OS X Leopard?

justin June 7, 2011

I have a latest version of OS X Lepord installed on my Mac (10.5), but I haven’t upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Now I would like to buy OS X Lion. Is it possible to update directly from Leopard to Lion or do I first need to have Snow Leopard to update to Lion?

1. Hvh09

For this relatively small amount of money I would not rely on a cracked version. The OS X is the 'motor' your Mac runs on.

2. Macode

Perhaps to avoid paying 90 dollars for the dual upgrade (and an OS that you wont need) you could torrent Snow Leopard then install from there. Or, perhaps a cracked version of Lion will end up on the web and you could do a straight upgrade! Hopefully Lion doesn't rely on framework native to Snow Leopard.

3. Justin9

you mean to save the .dmg file from a mac which is running on snow lepord and use the dmg file to run on a mac with lepord.
    does this work. ......?

4. chamnap lim

What if I use Mac that runs on Snow Leopard to download Lion and copy it to flash drive and install it on Leopard machines?

• Angela Alcorn

Heh, that might work you know. Let us know if you try it. :)

• Phil

You can install it to 5 Authorized mac.
      So yes if you download it you can install it to another 4 Macs

5. Justin9

Wooow so Apple expects me to upgrade to Snow leport now at the verge of the release of LION just to install LION OSX - a total ripoff and i would have to pay $60 for this.

IS this how Apple is showing the increase in Sales, Turnover and Profits - just because they have loyal customers.

• Victor Ong

As much as I agree, LION is only 30 bucks.  Expensive, though not as expensive as other osx upgrades.

• CheerNride55

Nobody seems to actually READ these posts! It's $60.00 BECAUSE WE HAVE TO ORDER SNOW LEOPARD FIRST, and THEN ORDER LION AFTER. So just to upgrade to lion we have to pay $60.00

• Angela Alcorn

Presumably though, this is the last time users will need to upgrade before upgrading. In the future, with everyone using Snow Leopard or something above, it will be possible to upgrade via the App Store and potentially skip an upgrade in the process.

At least, we hope so.

• Philip

Then go buy Windows 7 for $300 if you find Apple products expensive

• Justin9

I get win 7 for free - students edition msdn.

6. Angela Alcorn

Lion can only be purchased through the App Store, and the App Store can only be run using Snow Leopard. So, they've made it essential for users to be running Snow Leopard before using Lion.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apples-mac-osx-lion-news/
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

Maybe in the future they'll also sell an installation disc, but at this stage all reports say the upgrade is done via Snow Leopard.

7. Kamal

There is nothing you guys have to do to install LION just download from App store the apps will do all itself as simple as this.

• iknowtiim

i don't think you understand, the question was, is there a way to double upgrade - straight to lion as a pose to BUYING snow leopard to be able to use the app store for the apps to do it all themselves... read stuff first man.

if you knew anything about apple and it's previous operating systems, other than snow leopard, then you'd know that LEOPARD doesn't have the app store thus fucking us all over when deciding to upgrade...

thanks for the very intelligent input though.

• Rick

What if you download the app store via itunes then buy lion...

• Tim

bit late here Rick, but you cannot install the app store on LEOPARD it is a release in the osx for SNOW LEOPARD and above... fixed the issue anyway.

8. Jamison Wiggins

Same question.

9. Justin9

it would be a ripoff to buy snow lepord now to upgrade to LION.

As it was stated in the recent WWDC Keynote you need at least Snow Leopard.
    For now Lion will be distributed solely via the Mac App Store which was introduced with the Mac OS X 10.6.6 update.