How can I upgrade from Android 2.2 to 2.3?

Sunil October 27, 2011

What are the steps to request/receive Android upgrade through on screen or hardware buttons on an Android 2.2 tablet?

What are the other ways by which an Android 2.2 can be upgraded (even to 2.3) ?

1. ko kyaw

how to can i upgrade software for IVIO DE88 Android 2.2 to 2.3?

2. ko kyaw

how can i upgrade software for IVIO Android de88 from 2.2 to 2.3?

3. manoj saini

i have htc legend its working on androind 2.2... plz send the procedure and link 2.3..and other leatest version.. im w8ing for u r +ve replyy...
    tnks

4. junaid azmat

I have ivio de88plus
    How do I update to 2.3?
    I cant find any custom rom

• Kannon Y

The Ivio De88+ doesn't have any developer support in the modding community, although it's a really interesting phone, since it can do both CDMA and GSM. It may have support somewhere in Pakistan, India or perhaps Indonesia, since those are the regions where it appears to be used.

It won't get an update to 2.3, because of its relatively slow processor (600MHz) and small amount of RAM (256Mb). Most manufacturers prefer updating only their more expensive phones to 2.3 and better. Usually they have CPUs faster than 600MHz and around 512Mb of RAM. I'm not sure why, it's just the trend in general.

5. muddasir uddin ahmed

i want upgrade my version from 2.2 to 2.3 can you help me out by showing me the steps through mail.

• Susendeep Dutta

You can get specific help if you provide model name,number of your phone.You can always check for updates by going to Settings --> About phone --> Updates.

6. buvaneshwaran

hi i need to change my android version..bcoz i couldnt instal high definition games and also flsh player...plz help me i need ur help................

• Susendeep Dutta

Check your phone for updates by going to Settings -->About phone -->updates.If there's no updates available then you can try rooting your phone and installing some custom ROMs from cyanogenmod.

7. t s balasubramaniam

hi,
    i just bought a wonder media wm8650 running android 2.2 tablet
    how do i upgrade to android 2.3 ??
    does anybody know where i can get zip file of the rom for installing 2.3??

thanks
    bala
    b

8. cresologo

hi me is alcatel one touch990 my version is 2.2.2 i want to upgrade it. to 2.3. i always cheack to about the phne but always no update

9. G. Suresh

hai i have been using samsung galaxy fit smart phone v2.2.1, i want to upgrade it to 2.3 version. So please say how to upgrade it to android v2.3.

10. crnki

Hi, i have htc desire and i want update software to 2.3.
    I go in settings -about phone..... but it can't found updates.

11. Sunil

Thanks for your interest in this topic

Community ROMs can upgrade any device or each ROM is device specific?

Can ROMs upgrade without rooting the device?

If the processor speed is less than 1 Ghz and Random Access Memory is below 512 , then upgrading is inadvisable? Why?

• Kannon Y

Sunil, good questions!

(1) Custom ROMs (made by development communities) are designed for specific devices. For example, CyanogenMod is officially supported on a handful of devices. However, because the code is open source, many development communities have brought CM onto a variety of other devices. Anyway, we call any ROM that differs from the stock ROM a "custom ROM". Typically, if you type in the name of your device + "custom ROM" into Google, you will find what you're looking for.

If you're lucky, your device will have APK (executable files) files that automatically root and install custom ROMs + custom recoveries. In some instances, you may be required to use the command line to install (or acquire) three files (1) custom recovery; (2) custom ROM; (3) root access.

(2) Some devices come unlocked/rooted by default, but they are very rare. Most devices will require rooting before you can flash a custom ROM. The procedure generally follows this process:

Acquire root.

Download custom ROM to SD card.

Install custom recovery. Most Android devices have a recovery mode, which is similar to entering BIOS with PCs. It's a kind of pre-boot environment, in which you can install (we call it "flashing") a custom ROM. Basically, you enter the recovery (check your device's operating manual for information on how to enter "recovery mode") and from there you find and flash the custom ROM.

(3) Don't worry about the system specs. If a custom ROM with an advanced version of Android, has been already been fitted to your device, it will work. However, and this is really, really important, if you try to flash an incompatible version of Android, you will brick (break) your phone. Make sure you have the correct ROM and recovery before you do anything. And always remember to make a backup.

May I ask what the name of your device is?

• Sunil

The name of the device is HCL ME AM 7A1

• Sunil

Please tell whether the tablet HCL ME 7A1 can be upgraded from it's Android 2.2 version

• Kannon Y

Hey Sunil, sorry about not responding sooner.

It appears that HCL does not release many device updates, but there's a growing custom ROM community in India for HCL devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ED2wN8-1o

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1603810

In the future it's very possible that a custom ROM will get released for the 7A1 given that India has a considerable pool of IT talent.

In truth, ICS and Gingerbread would not do much for your tablet. In 4.0 You would get USB host mode (which would allow you to connect your USB flash drive and keyboard) and a handful of other features, but it would not make a difference in performance. In fact, your tablet would likely run slower with 4.0 or 2.3 installed.

I have ICS installed on a tablet and it's much slower than a custom ROM. I also have a custom 2.2 ROM and it's much faster than the custom 2.3 ROM. It seems that 2.3 is in general not as fast as 2.2.

• Sunil

I understand

12. shajahan

hi

I am using android 2.2 and wanted to upgrade it to 2.3 gingerbird How can i upgrade it

• Susendeep Dutta

Go to Settings -->About Phone -->Update.

13. Manthan Shah

Hi,
    I am using spice Mi 270 android froyo 2.2 and wanted to upgrade it to 2.3 gingerbird

How can i upgrade it

• Susendeep Dutta

Go to Settings–>About Phone–>Update.

14. faisa

how can upgrad androied 2.3

• Susendeep Dutta

Go to Settings-->About Phone-->Update.

15. harlem

i just need to update my essntiel b 1001 android froyo 2.2.1 to 2.3

• Susendeep Dutta

Go to Settings-->About Phone/Tablet-->Update.

16. Hi

Hi, Mine is Acer Liquid E android 2.2 is there any way i can Upgrade it.coz i really want to.

17. Hi, Mine is Acer Liquid E android 2.2 is there any way i can Upgrade it.coz i really want to.

Please Help Me out With This One.

18. Pranil

I have a Hauwei mtag 3.1. Its android 2.2... can i update it to android 2.3...

• Kannon Y

It doesn't appear that the Huawei Mtag has any custom ROMs or updates to 2.3 available. There could be something out there, somewhere, but you'd have to look hard for it.

2.3 is not faster than 2.2, though. It doesn't really add much to the phone performance to warrant an upgrade. But it does look nice.

• Susendeep Dutta

You can update only when Huawei will provide the update.Keep checking for it.

19. vance

I have a chinese built phone,
    model number says
    e1007_jbl

when i go to 'system updates' it says my device is currently up to date. it is currently running 2.2.1, is there a way I can get 2.3 running on my phone or am i stuck with a perpetual 2.1.1?

• Susendeep Dutta

Updates are provided only by the manufacturer of your phone and if it's saying that your phone is updated then the manufacturer is yet considering or not to release the update.Other ways to upgrade the firmware is to root your phone.

• Kannon Y

Is your device the HTC Vision? If so, HTC has a strong mod community for most of their devices. If it's a knockoff, then don't read any further: your device probably won't take 2.3.

If it is the Vision: There are custom ROMs (with support for Android 2.3/Gingerbread) available for the Vision. Installing a custom ROM requires two steps - rooting your advice and installing a custom recovery. Once the recovery is installed, you then enter recovery mode and install the ROM.

However, be aware of two things: (1) if the exact procedures aren't observed, rooting/installing custom ROMs can destroy your phone; (2) custom ROMs are buggy.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Vision

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/HTC_Vision#Rooting_the_Vision_.28G2.2FDZ.29_and_DHD

I've used both 2.2 and 2.3 - in all honesty, you're not missing out on much. The performance in 2.3 was actually worse than in 2.2 so I eventually downgraded.

• Vance

Yeah, it's a knockoff. Not a bad little phone, just can't use the Front Facing Camera(don't even know why it's included) until 2.3 is installed, and it got me thinking that it /might/ have a hidden update somewhere around. Thanks for the thorough explanation! I'm happy with what I have, knowing that it's as far as I can go for now.

Maybe when phones aren't ridiculously overpriced I'll buy a real one.

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

If the settings - about = section has no section of Software Update , then?

• Kannon Y

As someone explained to me, not all phones/tablets have an update feature. That doesn't always mean you can't update the phone or tablet, it just means that the phone's manufacturer (and cellular provider) didn't intend for the phone to be updated in that manner.

Each handset manufacturer and cellular provider may have differing procedures for how they update phones.

• Sunil

nice to know

so in which other ways can such device be upgraded

• Kannon Y

That's a good question Sunil:

The method of updating your device varies by three factors: (1) manufacturer (2) development community (3) wireless carrier.

Some OS updates are fan/community created (people who just enjoy making such things). Other upgrades are created by the handset manufacturer. If the wireless carrier chooses, they can push out the manufacturer made OS updates.

If a device is supported by your manufacturer and the carrier, the upgrades are typically pushed out to the devices over the wireless network. Tablets and e-reader (which don't have wireless carriers) can still receive pushed updates, but it's typically devices such as the Nook, Transformer, etc.. that received these updates. The cheap stuff probably won't see anything.

So, to answer your question, it's possible to update some Android devices with the correct community support. It all depends on your device. Try Googling for the terms "custom ROM" or "rooting" + the name of your device. There's a surprising amount of support for a wide array of devices.

• Sunil

Thanks for your interest in this topic

If the processor speed is less than 1 Ghz and Random Access Memory is below 512 , then upgrading is inadvisable? Why

20. syuk

i'm in malaysian and i use a samsung galaxy s(lcd) GTi9003. how can i upgrade 2.2 to 2.3 version?

21. edem

I use the Samsung galaxy mini but does not have the update function on it so how do i get to update my os .

22. edem

please help me update my android os 2.2.1

• Susendeep Dutta

Your phone can be updated via over the air or using the software that it uses to sync the data to computer.

For updating your phone via FOTA ( Firmware update over the air ), go to Settings-->About phone-->Software update and update it via Wi-Fi or simply tap on update button.Sometimes,account needs to be created for updating phone via FOTA.

23. edem

please help me update the android os of my samsung galaxy mini 2.2.1

24. Navneet Agarwal

how to update lg optimus 3d( 2.2.2 to 2.2.3)?

25. chris

How do i upgrade my evomax android tablet to a new android version???

• Susendeep Dutta

Go to Settings–>About phone–>Software update and update it via Wi-Fi or simply tap on update button.Sometimes,account needs to be created for updating phone via FOTA( Firmware update over the air ).

• sam

how can i upgrade my lg optimus me p-350 android 2.2to 2.3 without software update????

26. Rajeevy

Guyz i hav a simplee zte android 2.2 phone.can anybody tell me iit can be upgraded to 2.3 or not.

• Susendeep Dutta

It depends upon manufacturer whether they will update your phone or not.All you can do is to check for updates by going to Settings–>About phone–>Software update and update it via Wi-Fi or simply tap on update button.

27. Hiren Khurana1

If update is not available then tell how to update galaxy 551 from 2.2 to 2.3 & galaxy y from 2.3to 2.4 or 2.3.6 to 2.3.7 / 2.3.7.Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease  

28. ghost

give it to the mobile manufacturing company .......simple....

29. Rakesh

how can I connect reliance 1x dongle(model-8720) by my android 2.3 hclme x1 tablet

30. Richa Patel

how can i upgrade my galaxy pop GT-s5570 2.2 to 2.3

• Susendeep Dutta

For updating your phone via FOTA ( Firmware update over the air ), go to Settings–>About phone–>Software update and update it via Wi-Fi or simply tap on update button.Sometimes,account needs to be created for updating phone via FOTA.

You can also update your phone via connecting it to PC and using Kies software -

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP

• Jasvir

Hi when i will go to in about phone.there after where is update option.pls help me. Hi friend in my hand set gts 5570 i cannot play 3gp movie also .can you tell me any dolution for this

• Susendeep Dutta

After " About phone " there's Software update option and tap on it.You will get options to update - via Wi-Fi only or simply tap on " Update " button to download updates via cellular network.

Regarding playing .3GP videos,have you checked whether the video's resolution,bitrate and other factors are compatible with your phone?If you have made sure these factors and still facing such problems then you install third party video players like QQPlayer.

31. Smurfymom

I have been waiting for an invite for over a year now. Could you please send me an invite at  smurfymom@graffiti.net

32. unhappy gamer

Can I update my zte score so I can install a flash player.

• Susendeep Dutta

Updating your phone depends upon ZTE and you must check for updates by going to Settings–>About phone–>Software update and update it via Wi-Fi or simply tap on update button.

33. Dayo Akinkugbe

so i just got my new lg optimus 3D and know nothing about it can you help pleases

34. Gauravpujar

the best way to upgrade is 2 give it to d manfacturing mobile company folks......

• Quinonesw

What about L601?  It says 2.2 but it is a generic manufacturer.

35. Bca Kapil

i have acre liquid i want upgrade

• Susendeep Dutta

Simply check for update from your phone -

36. Hirasuthar57

how to upgrade android 2.2 to 2.3.....

37. Hirasuthar57

how to upgrade android 2.2 to 2.3.....

38. Hirasuthar57

how to upgrade android 2.2 to 2.3.....

• Susendeep Dutta

Always check for availablity for updates by -

39. Prashanth Cute

i lost my pass word can u please till wl i get it back my installing android 2.3 version ?
     mine is android 2.3 only

• Susendeep Dutta

Which password? Do you have access to your phone?

40. shubham madke

how can I upgrade samsung galaxy fit to android 2.3

may be you will like 2.3 launcher :
    http://www.talkandroid.com/23086-install-the-android-2-3-gingerbread-launcher-home-screen-on-your-2-2-device/
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jm8yvai0eq2gw61

I dont know about any menu option, check your tablet.
    and I don't think they will give conflicting answers, Either an update is available for your tablet or it's not.

• Sunil

Thanks Jay for your kind answers

• Goodysunny

Is it an upgrade?

If you talking about this tablet as mentioned in your previous questions,
    there are no details about 2.3 (gingerbread) update.

http://androidadvices.com/hcl-me-android-tablets-models-features-photos-pricing

They have launched  hcl me x1 with 2.3.

You can ask support to confirm : http://www.hclstore.in

• Sunil

hi

Thanks for your reply
      Actually I had asked : through what menu options(hardware and software buttons) in Android 2.2 can updates be checked?
      as the device manufacturer's personnels would give conflicting opinions regarding feature of upgrade available or not

and,
      What can be other ways to upgrade?

• Susendeep Dutta

Go to Settings–>About tablet–>Software update and update it via Wi-Fi or simply tap on update button.Sometimes,account needs to be created for updating phone via FOTA( Firmware update over the air ).

43. Josh Fox

The update would have to come from your device's manufacturer, so if they're not releasing an update, it won't be available. You could see if CyanogenMod is available on their website here: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

• Sunil

hi

Thanks for your reply

Does Cynagenmod work through device manufacturer?

and 

what are other ways to upgrade?

• Susendeep Dutta

Cyanogenmod is a group of community which creates ROM for popular Android devices and supports them.You can check availability of support for your tablet by visiting the link below -

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices

• Toby Nixon

Actually, josh, I have seen my device with other versions of Android and I mean 2.3 or above, I think it was 2.4 but I cant remember, I have been wanting to find it but I can't.

My device is one of those simple android superpad tablets from Amazon. (my little robot is wonderful btw f@#$ what those apple people said about it. Like R2D2, it has it's faults, but I am willing to accept such an amazingly unique, good tablet.)

Still, theirs was a earlier piece of hardware. She had bought hers a full year before mine and it was using it the same way I was.