How do I upgrade to 2GB of RAM in my PC?

BRIAN W. November 1, 2011

I have an Airis desktop PC with a Gigabyte GA-8VT880P-COMBO-(REV1-X)motherboard with an Intel P4 Dual-Core.. It has 2x 512MB memory sticks fitted. I want to fit 2x 1GB DDR2 PC2400 533MHz sticks, so I will have a total of 2GB of RAM. Do I have to remove the previous 512MB sticks? Is there any benefit to leaving them in?

1. Brian W.

Thankyou for your help, I saw the same as you did that the new memory had to be either of the two you quote. But I had scanned the PC via Crucial and it recommended I use 667 Mhz memory. I am not very experienced and was confused as to whether I was understanding what I read or not. It does have 4 slots, 2 are for DDR2  and the other 2 for DDR only, the present 512 mb. ones are of the DDR2 fitting with I believe 240 pins and I think I will have to remove them and use 2x1GB to get 2GB. Thankyou

don't mention it.  Glad I could be of some assistance

Hello, the following are the specifications for your motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1912#sp

According to that link, the maximum memory you can use in your motherboard is 2 GBs and it has 4 slots.  My advice would be to get 2 more 512MB sticks of same memory you have installed.  That way you use the 4 slots available and you can keep the two sticks already there.

If you get 2x1 GB of memory, then your motherboard would reach the maximum memory allowed for it.  You can keep the 2x512 sticks there, but they would be doing nothing for you.  Keep in mind, the memory for your motherboard has to be DDR2 533/400 or Dual Channel DDR 400/333