How can I upgrade from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 Android on Galaxy Y?

Tony Batty August 25, 2012

It there any way that I could or can upgrade my Samsung Galaxy Y from Android 2.3.5 to the new 2.3.6? Please help. Thanks.

1. Aravind N

i want some information about my phone.
    That is micromax a87 ,in this mobile using go launchers or any launchers but it works after few days it affect the mobile run slowly and hang.
    so it support any other lunchers available here or not..?
    and the os vesion to update is possible r not?

these two questions help to me..

The phone gets hanged because the apps are using much RAM which your phone has very low in amount.

Your phone do support launchers mentioned by you and I think that you must try Go TaskManager EX.This app would be helpful for your phone.

Currently,Micromax is providing updates to only Canvas II phone and its previous phones would never get any sort of updates.

2. kunal

Hey just goto settings menu of your mobile and in that there will a last option named ' About phone' go inside it and in that there wil b Software Update field available..
    Just go inside it and click on update option available in that..
    This update option will check if there are any updates for the particular phone or not...
    If it is der then just update it. And if it is not there then ur device had nt received the updates..
    got it???

3. tony

thnx to all you guys I have sold that phone, now I have a Sony Xperia Go
    and will wait for Sony OS Upgrade

4. Raja Pradeep

Tony, check http://www.samfirmware.com, there you can get official firmware for any samsung phone

5. Dalsan

Do not, I repeat, do not install updates that are for other regions as it will most likely brick your phone. Other regions use different hardware that requires different software to run them, and is highly unlikely that it would be compatible with your phone.

• Tony Batty

Hey! Dalsan, thank you so much for that piece of advise, will surely take that into consideration, as I in the process to go to India for some training and would have done it their, by wifi if it accepted the download. Thanks Man, you are one wise guy. Thanks. Owe you one.

• Dalsan

I would hate for your phone to brick and offered a warning. Many times there are safety measures that would warn you if you try to flash an update that is not meant for your phone only if you use the branded update software for your phone and region, but not always. Installing a custom recovery (ClockWork Mod) would be your only hope of recovering a bad flash, but must be installed before trying to install a newer version of Android. XDA developers have worked on this stuff for many years and can offer much help and useful information. I have installed custom roms many times, and it is very scary at first, but gets easier with time. I have always found issues in some way with custom roms that break the deal for me and I wind up installing the stock rom and stick with it. Most of my problems are from dropped 4G internet that requires reboot, and only allows a few minutes of using the internet before dropping. You most likely would benefit more grim sticking with the stock Android until you can get a newer phone, just to keep issues lower than it could be.

6. VS Vishnu

setting..about phone..update...
    wifi, kies, gprs, 3g..etc..

• VS Vishnu

usually it does it automatically..

• Tony

Thnx, Vishnu, have done all that, but the darn thing still no get the updates, I have read that their is one online, but that the thing I have no knowledge how to go about doing it, manually. Plz help if you have that expertise.

• Dalsan

You need the Kies software listed above and install it on your computer. Once installed, connect your phone to the computer and there should be an option for checking updates. click on update and install the update. If there isn't an update, then your phone would have to be rooted and need to install a custom ROM to get an updated version of Android. You mentioned you did not wish to root, and Kies is the only other way to update without rooting.

• akash

Hw can i upgrade version 2.2..

You had seen that it's available,but it gets available region wise which takes time.So,keep checking after a definite period of time.

• Tony

Thanks, man that's probably my problem will just have to keep waiting for it. I actually downloaded the India version but am afraid to brick the hell outta my phone.

Using Kies -

http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as

Connect your phone to PC after installing .net framework 4.5 and then Kies.After that ,you'll be prompted to update your phone.

OTA updates -

Goto Settings -->about Phone -->Update.

8. Dalsan

If your phone is not rooted and wish to keep it that way is to use the KIES software to update to the latest released Android version for your phone. I have an LG G2X that originally was supposed to be almost guaranteed to have regular updates, but the last update was last May, and was only for Android 2.3.4. If you already have the latest update for your phone through the KIES software, then the only way to update further is through rooting and flashing custom ROMs.

9. Tony Batty

Thanks Victor, but I would not like to root my phone if their is no need, just wanna update the phone if it is possible at all, you know newer updates fixes bug in the previous versions and so on. Will look into the site you have provided. Thanks

10. Victor Vasconcelos

Well, first, I'd check if this upgrade is relevant at all for your device. Point updates aren't really about new features.

Second, have you considered rooting? xda-developers has a big forum for every android device I've seen where people post tutorials on how to root, and etc.

Try this thread, for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1675474

With a rooted device you could go all the way up to 4.0, if a developer releases such an OS.