How can I update software on Linux?

Tina Curran December 11, 2011

I have just received an Aspire one AOA 150, which has a Linux operating sysetm. I am trying to update the Firefox browser and the Flash Player. However, when I download either, they do not appear in my download folder to enable me to continue installing. I am very PC illiterate and need some help.

1. Timothy Liem

don't download the on their site. instead, use Update Manager. after you fire up Update Manager, click on the "check" button. wait until it finish the search of new softwares on the repository, and click "install" button. you'll be prompted for your administration password. fill your password, and hit enter. it will download and install the updates automatically.

Hi Tina,

Which distribution is it? The updating process is different for various distributions, however, ha14's method will work for any debian based distro's.

You should also have a GUI utility, go to System -> Administration -> Update Manager or if you're using unity, press the orb and search "update". Otherwise, go to the terminal (Applications -> Accessories) and type "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" (without quotes) which will search for updates and install them.

- Jeff

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install firefox

Since you have already downloaded firefox, just copy it to your home directory and follow these instructions:

log into the terminal as root using
    $ su
    it will ask for your admin password.
    Then,
    # mv firefox-your version?.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/; cd /usr/lib/; tar -jxvf firefox-your version?.tar.bz2; ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

you must remove the current firefox with the command
    ‘sudo apt-get remove firefox’

or read this
    http://techie-buzz.com/ubuntu/install-firefox-4-in-ubuntu.html

for flash player
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/debian-ubuntu-mint-linux-upgrade-flash-player.html