How do I update iTunes after getting the error message ‘missing MSVCR80.dll’?

Katya S February 3, 2014

I tried updating to the newest version of iTunes & it started, but then I got the error message that the program didn’t install correctly and then another error message saying

program can’t start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer.

The solution from Apple support says to:

1. go to program files for iTunes & look for .dll files.
  2. If you find QTMovie.DLL, or any other .dll files, move them to the desktop.
  3. Reboot computer.
  4. Then it says to uninstall and then reinstall iTunes.

What are .DLL files and what do I do with the ones I move to the desktop per the instructions?

Also, when I reinstall iTunes, do I have to authorize my laptop for iTunes again? If yes, doesn’t that use up one of the authorized computer uses allowed by Apple?

Thank you.

1. Jack

I think Apple should fix the problem. I do not know how to do all of this. I just like to listen I have over 10.000 songs

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode and uninstall iTunes. Some sources say you should also uninstall in this order: Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, Apple Application Support, iCloud, and finally MobileMe. I have never found this to be necessary.
    Download the latest version of iTunes and save it to your hard disk (don't run immediately).
    Right-click on the downloaded file and select 'Run as Administrator...'
    After it finishes installing, reboot the computer and test.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you can try installing the VC 2005 SP1 update from Microsoft. After doing this, you should also run Windows Update and install any Visual C++-related updates it finds until there aren't any more.

before anything back up the iTunes library

What is a DLL?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815065

i think you can link maximum of five Windows pc's to a single iTunes account.
    you are not reinstalling windows so authorizing should not be necessary, because your not changing the computer. Apple suggests that you de-authorize a pc before you reinstall the OS.