Should I update my iPad 2 to iOS 6?

Nick McKenna September 26, 2012

Should I update my iPad 2? I haven’t really checked about the other new features, but I Apple Maps debacle does keep me a bit from updating my iPad. Is that justified? Or is that just media / fanculture hype? Can I still use the current Maps app?

Thanks a lot for your input!

I think you can wait for ios 6's update for its bugs like map.You have to find some transit app for iPad(http://app-of-ipad.blogspot.com/2012/09/5-top-transit-apps-for-ios-6-also-for.html#comments) if you upgrade to ios 6,of course you can enjoy the new features of ios 6 like Passbook which makes your like more conveniently.

2. aelaos

I have an ipad 2 and an iPhone 4 . Although i found ios 6 a very good upgrade to my phone , i just don't find it very useful to upgrade ipad 2 now since is jailbroken . Personaly i'll wait for a untethered jailbreak for A4 devices and then i'll upgrade ipad 2

3. Richard Whennell

There is really not that much difference between the two OS on iPad 2. Apple maps replaces Google maps - you can still get google maps via safari, albeit with reduced functionality - and whilst Apple maps is not great now, it will be. YouTube app disappears too, but you can use web browsing for that too. Especially if you download the firefox based browser which can hide that fact that you are using a mobile device.

I use the "do not disturb" feature of OS6 every day to avoid trashy texts, FB notifications etc. between the hours of 11 and 7 so I can sleep! It is sleeker and nicer that OS 5, but many of the features are only exploited on iPad3 and iPhones 4S/5. Even so, all of the apps are now updated to use OS6 - there is nothing to lose except maps and YouTube apps.

Do it...it's fine.

4. DalSan Mack

Most of the bad rep is about Apple Maps. There are others you can use instead, and other ways to get around it, like using the browser. I prefer waiting and finding out more of the good and bad instead of being one of the first ones to update. I feel the same way with getting any new phone; let them work out the problems first, then get the update for less chances of issues.

5. Dimal Chandrasiri

stick with 5 for some more time. let the iOS 6 become stable. then move on to it. it's always a great idea to wait till a new software to become stable over the time without regretting after moving on to it right after they launch it! :)

6. Nikhil Chandak

yes ...
    u must update ur Ipad 2 to IOS 6 !!
    the IOS 6 features are more than amazing !!!

7. bonioloff

If you want, you may.. But many Cydia Tweaks still not compatible, And I think Cydia itself is not implemented yet for iOS 6.

It's true that Apple maps doesn't works as expected and it has removed Google maps from iOS 6.But this must not hinder you from updating your iPad as Google is working to bring its map app to iPad.It would be only possible if Apple allows it in its store.For the time being after you had updated your iPad,you can access Google maps by visiting its site from the browser.

some applications would want as requirement ios 6 so update recommended.

10. Aditya Roy

There are some issues with the maps.
    But it depends on where you live. Some people have positive feedbacks as well.
    The accuracy is better in some areas. Whereas its a debacle in others.
    My suggestion: If you need to use the maps a lot, stay on ios 5 for now, otherwise upgrade is fine.

• HLJonnalagadda

Yeah Im still on 5.. Going to stick with 5 for some more time I guess..

• Aditya Roy

:) Don't fix if it ain't broken.