How do I update Android on my LG Optimus V?
Question by Pablo Chavez /

I have an LG Optimus V running Android version 2.2.2 and I would like to update it. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks.

• Dimal Chandrasiri

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/resources/Software_Update_Instructions_for_Windows.pdf

this is a guide by virgin mobile. bt the process would be the same if you are not on virgin mobile!

• Henry Lahman

You can check for official OTA updates through settings>about phone>software update>check new

Or you could install a third party ROM from the usual sites (phandroid, xda, androidcentral, etc)

• Ahmed Khalil

i suggest to check the mobile official site

• Kannon Y

Hello Pablo!

I’ve actually updated this phone many times for friends. It’s among one of the best phones ever made in my opinion, in terms of dollar value.

Because the Optimus V was released on several different carriers, and the official implementations of the ROM itself maxed out at 2.2, using the safest method to get a ROM update won’t move you beyond 2.2 (Froyo). You can try manually updating, but it won’t move you beyond 2.2. Try going Settings -> About Phone -> Firmware Update. I believe you are already on the latest build of 2.2 however.

There are Cyanogen and Stock builds of the ROM that reach 2.3.7 (Gingerbread) and they are remarkably stable and excellent in performance. This is the best website for additional information.

This is probably the best thread around for the details on how to easily root your phone. The most common method is to use a paid app in the app store, called ROM Manager combined with an unlocking tool called OneClickRoot. Basically, it’s a three step process (with the risk of destroying your phone if done improperly).

1. Root your phone.
    2. Install ROM Manager.
    3. Use ROM Manager to install a custom recovery (ClockWorkMod) and then a custom ROM.

And never factory reset from anyplace other than your recovery.

Personally, I don’t like ROM Manager, but if you read all the documentation and understand clearly what it is you’re getting into, then by all means, rooting is for you. Just make sure you are installing the right ROM. It needs to be compatible with your cellular carrier or otherwise you will brick your phone.

Also, my favorite ROM for this model is the Harmonia ROM. It’s simple and quite good in performance/stability.

If you have any questions, please ask. Good luck!

• Chetan

Hi Kannon,
      What a beautiful explanation . Further I would like to ask, is a conversion software is same as a driver for that particular android phone?
      An article says that for downloading a Google play app from PC to your android, you should first run a conversion software. What’s that exactly?

I would suggest you to go safe by going to Settings –> About Phone –> Software Update and then it offers to update via Wi-Fi or cellular data.

LG mobile support tool must be your next option –

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Mobile-Phone-Tools/Others/LGMobile-Support-Tool.shtml

I would suggest to kindly use the official method as suggested by susendeep of going to Settings –> About Phone –> Software Update and then it offers to update via Wi-Fi or cellular data. Alternatively, you can install the PC suite and plugin the mobile to the PC and the suite software will detect the firmware installed and will give you an update option to the latest firmware available for the mobile model. This is the easiest and official way of doing it.

Go to the link http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGVM670 and then click on the hyperlink Software Update & Drivers nder the Download section.

• HLJonnalagadda

Check some roms and see which would be the best. This would be a good link to start with. has guides, how-to install, and the download links: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/453389-optimus-v-all-things-root-guide-updated-06-14-2012-a.html

• Rob Hindle

I’d normally suggest looking around modaco.com but site is currently offline

Googling finds this: forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/