How can I unzip free fonts downloaded from dafont.com?

Osama August 23, 2010

MakeUseOf has mentioned dafont.com for free font downloads and this site has a big collection of fonts . But every font I download from it is in a zip folder with a password on it. How can I extract them now?

1. Osama

i redownloaded using firefox but still some fonts are not working

2. Osama

I am using peazip but I also tried 7 zip but the problem is still there. both of them are unable to extract those password protected archives. (note that i only downloaded fonts with 'free' or 'free for personal use' tags on them) and only 2 fonts got extracted out of around 20 i downloaded. those 2 were top secret font and very damaged font. peazip is in my PC for a long time and i know how it works and it also working fine with other archives. both software simply give an error for the password.

Osama,

I cannot reproduce the issue. I even tried the two fonts you mentioned above and had no issues with unzipping them.

Which browser are you using to access dafont.com? Did you try to download the files with another browser? I have used Firefox and Chrome.

Definitely try to make a fresh download and don't try to unzip previously downloaded files! It may have been a temporary issue on dafont.com.

If you still cannot download files that you are able to unzip, I recommend that you post your problem in the dafont.com forum: http://www.dafont.com/login.php?ref=/forum/

Good luck!

• Jessica Cam W.

I just downloaded two free fonts (one of them was the one you mentioned, 'Top Secret') from there and used Windows Explorer's 'Extract All Files' feature, as well as PeaZip and didn't get any password-related problems. Have you tried Windows Explorer's Extracting feature?

Osama,

I just downloaded several random fonts from dafont.com. They were marked as shareware, donationware, free, and free for personal use. None of these .zip files was password protected. I used standard the WinZIP software that comes with Windows XP to unzip them.

The question is, which software do you use and what happens if you just ignore the password query. The problem may well be with your software and not with dafont.com. Try 7Zip, one of the best archive tools out there.

Please let us know if and how you could fix the problem. Thank you!

• Donatist59

7zip is absolutely useless and does not work.

Why do you say 7Zip does not work?

Granted, the above answer is over a year old, however, I am using 7Zip and for everyday archiving tasks it still works great.