How can I unzip downloads from Winhelponline.com?

Alessandro August 14, 2011

Having trouble with the lnk. file. Don’t know how to unzip.

Alessandro,

did you figure out how to unzip downloads from WinHelpOnline.com using 7Zip? Please let us know!

2. Alessandro

I have installed 7-zip 

• an2onio

Dear Alessandro, 
      In that case, simply open 7-zip by double clicking its shortcut icon, then in the top left corner of the 7-zip window, click file, choose open and locate the zip file you downloaded from winhelponline. It's best to download the zip file to your desktop so as to easily locate it.
      When you find the zipped file or folder, double click it and it will open just like any other folder would normally open in windows. If the zipped file is a setup file for a program, it will start the installation immediately you double click it. However, if it is a zipped folder, when you double click it, it will open and you will have to locate the .exe file within the folder to install your program.
      I hope this helps. All the best, 
                 an2onio

3. Alessandro

When I right click on the folder 7-zip does not appear so what can i do?

4. Alessandro

ok thanks

5. Antonio Byamukama Vezzini

Dear Alessandro, 
    Please go back to the location of the download link on winhelponline and instead of simply clicking on the download link, right click it and choose "save as" and save it to your desktop where it will be easy to locate. It should save as a .zip compressed folder.
    If you don't already have a compressing software like winzip, winrar or 7zip on your computer, please download 7zip (I recommend it because it's very easy to use in my opinion) and install it on your computer.
    When the installation of 7zip is complete, right click on the zipped folder you downloaded from winhelponline, click 7zip in the dropdown menu that appears (on right clicking) and select "extract all files here". That should unzip the compressed folder and create a new folder on your desktop containing the setup file for the program you were trying to get from winhelponline.
    I hope this helps.

Note: The .lnk file you initially downloaded is only a Windows Link file. It's simply sort of a shortcut that is supposed to link you to another file that's already downloaded on your machine - in your case, it didn't work because you hadn't yet downloaded the compressed folder.

• Alessandro

when  i right click on the folder 7-zip does not appear so what can i do?

Most modern operating systems have a simple built-in achieve manager. In Windows, simply right click on the ZIP file and choose "unzip". In Linux open a terminal and change to the directory where the zip file is located and type "unzip file.zip" without quotes. Replace "file.zip" with the name of the zip file. 

If you don't have this by default, download an archive manager such as Winrar or 7 Zip. These will help you unzip the file.