How can I unscramble iPod file names in OS X when iTunes doesn’t do it?

Robert Russell May 1, 2012

I would like to know how to unscramble iPod file titles when using OS X. Of course, I know that iTunes will automatically unscramble most iPod files, but not all.

1. Tim

If you're talking about the filenames, you can download a program called "Media Monkey". Assuming your meta tags are accurate, you can use a tool in the program that allows you to batch rename files using their tag data, giving you a filename that makes sense. It only takes a few clicks to do and is an awesome program that gets that wretched iTunes out of your life as much as possible.

First scan all music folders into MediaMonkey's library. Then select the songs in question. On the top menu, click "tools>auto-organize files" then tick the box next to "copy files to new destination based on file tags". Click configure and you tell it what directory to put the files into and you select an output "mask" that determines what information you want in the filename such as "artist, title, track #, etc".

That's it!

2. muotechguy

Not really sure what you mean by "unscramble titles". Do you mean filenames? Or is the meta data on your mp3 files corrupt? Or is it just the wrong title? itunes won't correct that for you, you'll need some kind of meta-data scrubbing and clean up app. ... which I can't think of right now.

perhaps iniTunes/Preferences/Advanced "Keep iTunes music folder organized
    The process might take a few minutes, and might require you to close and re-open iTunes to even get it started