How do I unpixelate a cropped photo?
Question by Pamela Alexander /

I upload a photo, crop it, and it is pixelated. Nothing I do helps, and nothing I read about it helps me understand what to do. I follow directions given, but the photo remains the same every time.

I read about how to “blur” the picture, but I don’t want it blurred. I need it to have a crisp line for book cover purposes. How do I shrink those little squares until I don’t see them anymore for a 6/9 book cover? Thanks.

The cropping of a photo is not what is creating the pixelation, it is the resizing of the cropped image.  If you are not working with a high resolution source, any kind of resizing will create pixelation.  The larger the disparity between the cropped image size and the desired or viewed image size, the greater the effect.

However, you can try this method in Photoshop (or equivalent with the proper filters):
    1.  Open your image.
    2.  Click on Image -> Size.  Change measurement to “Percent” and increase both height & width to 200%.  Make sure processing is set to “Bicubic”
    3.  Soften pixelation with the Despeckle filter (Filter -> Noise -> Despeckle).
    4.  Apply smoothing by doubling the size of the image again as done in step 2 then applying the Diffuse filter (Filter -> Stylize -> Diffuse, using anisotropic mode).  This will smooth & enhance the edges of the image.
    5.  Reduce the image size back to 100% and unsharpen the image (Filter -> Sharpen -> Unsharp).  Use the following settings as a starting point (you will probably need to adjust them based on the image):
           Amount: 60%
           Radius:  2px
           Threshold: 2 levels

• Azamat “Bohed” E

it is important to know where exactly do you upload the image??

If the image not hi resolution and it was not taken properly with no camera shake then difficult to ‘unpixelate’ it. Because no data there for the program to work with, any pixels that the program tries to recreate will be guess work and the results are rarely good.

How do you unblur an image on photoshop?

There is a plugin for Photoshop called Perfect Resize (formerly Genuine Fractals).

unpixelating image for web