How can I “unlock” my write protected pendrive?
Question by ras garvey /

Ihave a Kingston pendrive. Whenever I insert it into the USB slot in my PC there is a message that the removable disk is write protected and that I should remove the write protection or use another disk. What makes this annoying the most is that I can’t format the pendrive, neither can I delete any file from the disk or add to its contents.

I have followed the instructions on many forums but to no avail. I think there is a 0kb file named protector on the pendrive and I surely believe that is the cause of these problems, but all efforts to delete it have proved futile.

• TechShankar

Ubuntu is good. I like that OS than Windows.

• Frank Ribbensky

You’ve got it right TechShankar ! I’ve been using Ubuntu since 8.04, now we’re up to Ubuntu 11.10 and it leaves any Microsoft Operating System for dead, it’s heaps better with tons of free applications available for download and NO VIRUSES, NO SPY WARE NO KEY LOGGERS a firewall that will stop a Mack Truck if you want to use it. While with Window$ you have to install all sorts of heavy computer slowing applications in a vain attempt at protecting a system that has a million holes BUILT INTO IT ON PURPOSE so that Mr Gates can rip you off again by selling you more expensive software to protect his [intentionally] defective operating system. He should be locked up for his shonky business dealings what a crook !

• Peacock_eric

what OS are you using?
    1. boot to a linux live cd. (google search for linux live, ubuntu is good)
    2. delete the partition on the flash drive (google search for whatever distro u d/l)
    3. reboot to linux or winblows (shouldn’t matter)
    4. create & format a new partition
    5. done

• Frank Ribbensky

A good suggestion Peacock but in my case (Ubuntu 11.04) the Disk Utility won’t do it.
      I get :
      Error erasing: helper exited with exit code 1: In part_del_partition: device_file=/dev/sdc, offset=32256
      Entering MS-DOS parser (offset=0, size=8075140608)
      MSDOS_MAGIC found
      looking at part 0 (offset 32256, size 8075096064, type 0x0b)
      new part entry
      looking at part 1 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
      new part entry
      looking at part 2 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
      new part entry
      looking at part 3 (offset 0, size 0, type 0x00)
      new part entry
      Exiting MS-DOS parser
      MSDOS partition table detected
      got it
      got disk
      got partition – part->type=0
      Error: Input/output error during write on /dev/sdc
      ped_disk_commit_to_dev() failed
       I guess when it’s LOCKED, it’s locked we can’t do ANYTHING with it. Is there a password arrangement or something similar ?
      I think maybe a BIG F@#$*&NG HAMMER is the solution. Take it out the back and flatten it on the concrete pavement WHACK @#$% CRUNCH !!!!! Problem solved.

dont use the built-in format may need a format software! you can find it on kingston website

there’s no switch on that usb.i have a kingston pendrive too! this is maybe your drive has been effected by a virus.the quickest way to solve the problem is to format your pendrive :)

• Frank Ribbensky

He told you! He’s unable to format the drive. When a USB drive is LOCKED you can’t do ANYTHING with it it is “locked”.
      A virus what’s that ? You must use MS windows in any case I don’t think so, a bit of a shot in the dark. Obviously somewhere along the line this drive has been locked and it needs to be unlocked. I have a similar problem with an 8g drive a neighbour found in someone’s rubbish pile, he didn’t know what it was. I should have left it with him. Mind you it has a couple of good movies on it, The Shining and The King’s Speech as well as a bunch of National Geographic documentaries and a copy of someone’s Doctor’s certificate for diarrhea, ha ha seriously that’s what it said. Funny because the USB drive is giving me the shits as well.