How to unlock WD Smart Unlock of WD Passport external drive in Fedora?

Ram Lalit October 21, 2012

I bought a WD Passport Essential external hard disk, copied all the stuff into it in Windows 7 and got rid of Windows 7.

The hard disk has a software called WD Smart Unlock. Until that is run the hard disk is not visible. Then I installed Fedora. Now SmartUnlock.exe doesn’t open in Fedora. Then I downloaded Wine, but in vain. So please help!

1. Abba Jee

as hda14 said, i used it in windows first, disabled its password there, now i can use it in fedora , Ubuntu :) so i guess its a temporary solution if you still want it password protected i guess it will take sometime to pop in an idea in a geek brain "how to do it"

• Abba Jee

sorry it was ha14 i misspelled it :S

Using SmartWare to remove the password from the drive will also remove the "WD Unlocker"
    you can do this on another pc having windows?

3. Dino Pearsons

You could use VirtualBox ( to install Windows inside a virtual machine and use it inside of linux to unlock your drive.