How do I unlock a second-hand T-Mobile phone from previous owner’s account?

Jane.gall72 June 9, 2014

I need advice from someone knowledgeable and trustworthy!

The T-Mobile Alcatel One Touch Fierce 7024W that I bought from someone can’t be unlocked by T-Mobile because of non-payment on the account – it’s what the carrier told me when I called them.

I want to use it with Straight Talk – the prepaid mobile service I’ve had for years. Is this possible? Can you help direct me the best way possible to do so if there is a way?

The phone is compatible according to Straight Talk (with purchase of a T-Mobile or AT&T micro SIM). It wasn’t until I attempted to activate the phone with the T-Mobile SIM I bought from Straight Talk that I became aware I’d been sold a problem! Help please?

With the IMEI number of the phone being blacklisted for non-payment by the previous owner, there really isn't anything you can do. The previous owner would have to pay off what is owed and try to make mends with the carrier before you can legally use the phone on any service.

There is a possibility that one can spoof a different IMEI number on the phone and make it work (no longer blacklisted), but it is difficult to do and requires knowledge of modifying system files. Even then, there is no guarantee. Unfortunately, you may be stuck with a device that cannot make phone calls, so you may want to try and get your money back.