How can I unlock my Mac Book Air if I don’t remember the 6 digit NIP?

Shelbi Joseph April 14, 2012

My Mac Book Air got locked. It is asking for 6 digit NIP to unlock. But I don’t remember. Is there a way I can get the password or log in without this step or even reinstall the system? Any suggestion or help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. Theo Reisinger

If your Mac gets locked, the "easiest" way is to use your installation disc.

2. danielooi

Have you try CMD+OPTION+P+R ?

I haven no idea what could ask for a "6 digit NIP" let alone what this is supposed to be.

On a Mac there are only passwords which are also named that way:
    - a firmware password during boot (if set)
    - user/admin password e.g. on logon
    - FileVault password on boot if you encrypted your hard drive (10.7+)

If iCloud does ask you for credentials it is your Apple ID (email address registered at Apple/iTunes/App Store...) and the appropriate password ~ nothing else, nothing "digit only".

The only things that will ever ask you for digits only (8 of them) on a Mac is when you connect your Apple Wireless Keyboard or when using the Migration Assistant via network.

Whatever is asking you for 6 digits has to be some third party application and service. The only thing I can suggest at this point is doing a Safe Boot which disables all third-party services, start-up items etc...

If that doesn't work I suggest to revise what you installed on the system and what could cause this "6 digit NIP" lock.

4. Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

I am assuming you are talking about your OSX login password, I quick how-to on it  and have had a very high success rate with this method: http://richardcarpenter.weebly.com/1/post/2010/10/forgot-my-mac-password.html 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• Shelbi Joseph

No Mr Carpenter. It's not the user/admin password. I think it is findmyphone/icloud NIP.It acepts only 6 numbers. Thanks

5. Mulder

If you have a MacBook Air, then why do you say your system is Windows?

And what do you mean by 6-digit NIP?

• Shelbi Joseph

Mulder, I can't log on to the system, so I have to use a window computer to post to MUO. It's not the user/admin password. I think it is findmyphone/icloud NIP.It acepts only 6 numbers. Thanks

if the password was saved to the firmware then will be difficult.

Reset Admin Password on MacBook Air
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2686379?start=0&tstart=0

Reset a lost OS X password
    http://www.whatsmypass.com/reset-a-lost-os-x-password

•Hold Apple+S when booting to enter single user mode
    •#sh /etc/rc
    •#passwd yourusername
    •#reboot

1) Insert the OSX install disc that came with the MacBook.
    2)Re-start the MacBook and when you hear the chime sound hold down the 'C' key.
    3)Choose the proper language and hit continue
    4)Now you will be at the installer. Choose Utilities and then Reset Password.

• Shelbi Joseph

Thanks. It's not the user/admin password. I think it is findmyphone/icloud NIP.It acepts only 6 numbers. Thanks

• Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

Um, Ok. I hold several apple certifications, and have no idea what a NIP is...

• csound1

The 6 digit 'nip' (presumably 'pin') is entered by the user when issuing a remote lock command, if you forget it off to the Apple Store you must go, it is not user resettable.

• csound1

Correct, but I think the word you need is PIN, you can't reset it if you forget it so take it to the Apple Store.