How can I unlock a DOS password in Windows XP?
Question by Robert /

I recently moved. I can’t remember my password. When I turn on my computer it goes directly to DOS: Enter Password

• Ouo Micco

I suggest you do not reinstall your Windows XP or take it to an computer expert for repair, it may cost you some time or result in losing data, or cost some money.

You can totally reset the password by yourself by creating a bootable cd with these Windows password recovery tool, such as Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 , Ophcrack, Windows Password Key .

It depends on what type of password you set!

If your computer asks you for this password in DOS (or actually during boot-up) it could be a BIOS Password, Hard Disk or an Encryption password (like TrueCrypt, Full Disk Encryption, …).

For a BIOS Password all you have to do is reset your computers BIOS information. This is usually done by either setting a jumper on the Mainboard or removing the BIOS battery. Your best chance is to look it up in your Mainboard manual.
    For Laptops resetting the BIOS password might be more challenging as they don’t store things the same way a Desktop computer does. But again, the manual should help.

Both, Hard Disk and Encryption passwords are a different story.

TrueCrypt usually asks you to store an Emergency Disc Image which you can burn [should have] to reset an forgotten password.

Resetting the Hard Disk password (ATA password) should be possible in most cases. You should try the ATA Password Tool which can be found on the UBCD

As for Firmware level Full Disk Encryption I’m actually not sure if there is anything to retrieve the data. I didn’t look it up for now as I doubt this is related to your problem.

NT Password and Registry Editor

Windows Password Recovery Tool

Kon Boot is an application which will bypass the authentication process of Windows based operating systems.