How do I unlock a CDMA iPhone?

Drsunil V January 23, 2014

How to unlock a cdma Iphone? The iPhone in question is to be used with local SIM in another country and I would like to avoid roaming charges.

1. James B

iPhones can ONLY be unlocked by the original provider (unless jailbroken). No ifs, no buts, no "I saw some ad on the internet". Period. Only the original provider can do that, and depending on their rules you may need to:
    - be the original subscriber
    - pay a fee
    - no longer be on contract

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I understand

What iPhone are we talking about?
    Prior to the iPhone 4S the CDMA versions do not have a SIM card slot so you simply cannot use them on a GSM network except via roaming.

The iPhone 4S has a SIM card slot inside with a "roaming SIM" the carrier uses when traveling in GSM areas. Fortunately(?) for 4S users this SIM card slot is said to be unlocked so you should be able to use any other GSM SIM-card in it.

For a CDMA iPhone 5 I'm not sure – as far as I have read on the internet it's SIM card slot is locked down to only allow the roaming SIM from the initial provider.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. How to open iphone 4s? The opening option is not available

• Jan F

The iPhone 4S is a single design for either network. The SIM card slot is on the right-hand side (opposite side of the volume buttons).
      http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5163

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I understand. Please tell , is unlocking both a hardware and software process. Is there a webpage to send imei number to initiate unlock

• Drsunil V

hi. The iphone 4S cdma of sprint , does not have slot on opposite side of volume panel bar

• Jan F

The iPhone 4S is a global phone. There is no physical difference between one being sold on CDMA carriers or GSM carriers. All of them do have a SIM card slot.

If your iPhone doesn't have a SIM card slot it probably is the iPhone 4 CDMA version.

Both the iPhone 4S sold on GSM and CDMA have the model no. A1387 on the back of the glass.
      The iPhone 4S sold in China has the model no. A1431 on the back.

If your iPhone has the model no. A1349 then it is no 4S but the older iPhone 4 CDMA which does not have a SIM card slot.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3939
      http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Install_or_replace_the_SIM_card_Apple_iPhone_4S_16GB/25219-133-2?question_box=sim%20card%20iphone%204&id16=sim%20card%20iphone%204

• Drsunil V

hi. It does not have an external sim slot. It is probably Cdma phone. Please suggest

• Drsunil V

Please tell how to unlock older version of iphone 4 as specified in your answer

• Drsunil V

The back panel has been viewed and it displays model A1349 and EMC no.2422. Please tell how to unlock and put new sim

• Jan F

I'm not sure which part of the previous answer was unclear:
      The A1349 is an iPhone 4 CDMA.
      It does NOT have a SIM card slot. You can NOT put any SIM card in this phone.
      It can NOT be used on GSM networks.

Solution: Buy a new iPhone which supports GSM networks.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell if A1349 cannot be enabled for new sim then does it have unlocking request option to concerned mobile service provider?