How can I unite partitions on a Windows Vista machine?

Beatrice November 10, 2010

When I purchased my Windows Vista Home Premium machine, I (unwittingly) allowed the Best Buy tech to “set it up” for me, for a small fee of course.

The set up involved partitioning my 138 GB hard drive into 2 drives of 69 GB each, which I now hate. I’d rather have one big hard drive. I’ve researched, and it doesn’t seem to be an easy way to make it one drive. I did a PC restore, and it partitioned the drive into 2, just like it was before.

Any easy-to-follow suggestions? Thanks in advance.

If you're looking for a good partition manager app, I suggest Easeus partition Master

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software#other

Beatrice,

why do you hate to have two partitions? I think the Best Buy tech made a very good decision there. I would highly recommend you to keep two partitions for the following reason: data safety!

One partition holds your operating system, the second can be used to store data. Should Windows ever get corrupted, you can simply format the system partition, without losing your data that safely sits on your data partition. When you tried to restore your PC, you saw for yourself that it has no effect on your partitions.

That said, you can easily change the size of partitions or unite them to one big partition in Windows Vista. This article shows you how it's done in Windows 7 and also Windows Vista.

Please let us know in case you need more help. Thank you!

• B_abercrumbie

Thank you, Tina for the response. In my search, you are the 3rd person to say the 2 partitions are a good thing (so it must be a duck). Your explanation makes a lot of sense. The problem was I had installed so many programs that all but 7G of space on the c drive was used, which slowed performance down really badly. The d drive, which is labeled Data however was practically empty. I'm guessing the system drive is the c drive, yes? Since the restore, I'm more selective about what I'm stalling, and installing to the d drive. I'll just let myself get used to the 2 drives. Thanks, again!

Beatrice,instead of uniting the partitions, you can change their size. You can easily make the system drive bigger, while making the data drive smaller by the same amount. Using the Disk Management tool, you first need to make the data drive smaller. The disk space you removed from the data drive will be unallocated. Then you can make your system drive larger by the amount of unallocated disk space. Here is an article that describes the process in more detail for Windows Vista: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6170510.htmlThe system drive typically carries the drive letter C and the data drive typically is D. However, it doesn't have to be this way. The system drive should be C, makes a lot of things much easier, but you can assign any letter to data partitions or CD/DVD drives.