How can I use my uninterruptible power supply and its WinPower software in Windows 7?

Andrew February 13, 2011

I upgraded my PC (Windows 7 64-bit), but kept my ‘uninterruptible power supply’ (UPS), which used to connect via a serial cable. The new PC does not have a serial port. I have connected via a USB cable, but the software (WinPower 2.5.0.3) does not seem to work in Windows 7. So is there alternative software I should/could use?

Hi
     1) TCP/IP protocol must be installed to support network management
     2) An available communication port (RS-232 Serial Port or USB port) is needed while
    connecting to device with a special communication cable.

For windows 7, enter Windows7 directory, you should run setup.exe as an administrator. Right click on the setup icon, then select “Run as administrator”, a “user account control” dialog will pop up, please select “Allow”. Also after install For windows7 operating system, you should restart computer after the first installation.

On Windows vista, Windows 2008 and Windows7, if you want to exit, right click the winpower
    Software tray icon, and select “Exit”. Once you exit it, you should restart the computer to start it
    automatically. But if you have administrator privilege, you can start it again without restart computer. There are two steps: the first to start the agent, open the “Services” from the “Start menu” > “Control Panel” > “Administrative tools”, and find the service “UPSmonitor”, right click on it, select “Start”. The second to start TrayIcon, click the winpower soft from Start menu > Program Winpower.

• Andrew

Thanks for the replies. I had actually installed the new version - and prior to connecting the USB to the UPS. It could not find it, but I un-installed and re-installed and all appears OK. I also found that the password is "Administrator" required to change the settings.

Have you tried updating the winpower software to its latest release? According to the following link, it is compatible with windows 7:
    http://www.ups-software-download.com/

If you want to try and use the ups software included with windows 7, read the info on the following link:
    http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/feature/Installing-configuring-and-testing-a-UPS-for-Windows-7