How can I uninstall Ubuntu without password?

Pete Spinetto February 14, 2010

Some time ago I installed Ubuntu which I enjoyed trying out. I didn’t use it for a while and the next time I tried it it asked for a password which threw me sd this was something new. I was stuck. No password no entry. Ok I didn’t particularly want it so uninstall it.
None of the many ways I tried worked. It refused to uninstall. So. How do you uninstall Ubuntu?

1. Andres_angel

Hi, i installed ubunto 10.10 on w7 using wubi, i now want to uninstall but there is no uninstall icon on the ubuntu folder in c: and also ubuntu does not appear on the remove sftwr list, anybody know how i can uninstall with out running recovery manager on win and loosing all my files. thx

Adnres,

I recommend that you ask a new question.

2. Lisa

OK!!! I really need some help here. I have four separate issues that are interrelated. 1) I have forgotten my password for ubuntu. 2) When I go to reset at the grub message it never comes up. I get two error messages 3) no system mode found and unknown command terminal. So I can not get into the system even to reinstall ubuntu. 4) The reason I need to get in to reinstall is the original problem of my taskbars are missing and when i minimize a screen it disappears completely. If I did not have the google chrome icon on my desktop I would just have a blank desktop. HELP please. I have been on two forums and i can get any answers

Lisa,

I'm afraid you have to ask this as a new question. You can copy and paste the text from your comment here into the question form, select a category (Linux) and add your name and eMail address (eMail will not be published), and that's it. You don't have to sign up!

You can access the question form by clicking the big green "Ask a Question" button in the top right corner of this site.

Thank you!

3. Dennis-SGMM

Pete, have you tried reinstalling UBUNTU? I haven't played with it in a while, but a reinstall may give you the option to set a password and then uninstall. Depending on the loader you're using you may not be able to get rid of it without fixing your MBR.

• Pete

Thanks Dennis. Seems a good option. I just might try it.
      Cheers Pete.

4. Taty

Hi Pete
    If you don't have the operating cd and can't borrow one from someone, you can use a simple utility called MBRFix.
    It can be found at:
    http://download.cnet.com/MbrFix/3000-2094_4-10485990.html
    This version works for Windows 2000/XP/NT, but there are other versions available if you have Vista. Considering you said you hadn't used Ubuntu for a long time I am imagining the computer isn't new enough to have Windows 7.
    Once you download the software, check the documentation for instructions. I do have to mention that altering your MBR files is a very dangerous endeavor even when you know exactly what you are doing and I discourage it if you have a lot to lose. Consider whether the benefits of getting rid of Ubuntu outweigh the danger of losing all your data and not being able to boot into windows. Back up all your data if you are going to attempt it and good luck.

• Pete

Hi Taty. Yes I am using XP. Thanks for suggesting MBRfix. I will check it out but probably won't use it. It is no big deal being stuck with UBUNTU. If I have to keep it is there a way that I could get round the no password problem?
      Cheers Pete.

5. Taty

Hi Pete
    It depends a bit on the version of Ubuntu you have installed. The newest versions have an uninstall prompt built in, so all you should have to do is find the Ubuntu folder inside your harddrive and look for the uninstall icon. If you've tried it and it's not working, use the Windows cd, select repair and under the command prompt type “fixmbr”. That will overwrite the dual boot information.

• Pete

This is for Varun Kashyap aas well as Taty.
      Thanks. But the only disk that the vendor supplied is called "Operating system CD"
      It does not have the repair instruction you both mention.
      Cheers Pete.

6. Varun Kashyap

Hey I did an article on this a while back, you can find it here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-safely-uninstall-ubuntu-in-windows-dual-boot-environment/

The article tells you how you can delete the partition and remove Ubuntu and also shows you how to backup data from the same partition. Check it out and let me know if you have other concerns

If you installed Ubuntu on a separate drive or partition, the easiest way to get rid of it would be to format it. That will wipe the Ubuntu install from your hard drive.

• Pete

Unfortunately it is on a partition with a bunch of other stuff. I don't want to go that way
      Cheers Pete.