How can I uninstall Ubuntu to gain access to Windows 7 again on a dual boot system?

carl May 3, 2011

I installed Ubuntu on Windows 7. It worked ok as a dual system for awhile. Now I cannot get on to Windows at all. How can I get rid of Ubuntu, so I can get back on Windows?

1. Flezzey

Thanks so much.  Most appreciated

Hello, probably you just have to fix the master boot record that became corrupted somehow. In order for you to try and fix the mbr by using windows 7, you have to use the bootrec.exe command. If your computer has a recovery partition you do not need the installation disk in order to run this command. What you do is the following:
    -- start up computer
    -- press f8
    -- select repair
    -- select operating system to repair
    -- select command prompt
    -- type bootrec.exe
    -- type bootrec.exe /fixmbr and press enter
    -- type bootrec.exe /fixboot
    -- restart computer in normal mode

You can use the installation disk to do same by using the following steps:
    -- insert windows 7 installation disk
    -- restart computer
    -- go into BIOS pressing the key that takes you into setup. It could be f2, del, f10, it depends on the brand of the computer. Change booting order to start from dvd/cd (make sure to make a note about the default booting order before you change it)
    -- choose the repair option (windows 7)
    -- select operating system to repair
    -- select command prompt
    -- type bootrec.exe
    -- type bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    -- type bootrec.exe /fixboot
    -- restart computer
    -- change booting order to the way it was before you changed it
    -- save settings on BIOS and then restart computer.

If you do not want to try and repair your mbr, here is a link on how to uninstall ubuntu on a dual boot configuration:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-safely-uninstall-ubuntu-in-windows-dual-boot-environment/