How can I uninstall Internet Explorer 9?

Gordon chung April 4, 2011

I am having a problem with Internet Explorer 9 and want to uninstall it. But I cannot find the program in the ‘add/remove’ section.

When I go to the ‘Program’ file, it would not let me delete the file either.

1. Nati

Hi! I can't find internet explorer on the list of updates... what can I do?

2. Webfellows

Both links are not accurate for Windows 7 SP1 systems that came with IE 9

4. Roy

As I understand it, IE 9 isn't listed as a program, but rather as an update. So what you'll actually be doing is "downgrading" to IE 8 by uninstalling the update.

You'll begin by following the usual steps to uninstall a program (Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program). Then click on "View Installed Updates" in the Task Pane and look for Windows Internet Explorer 9. It should be listed as a Windows Update, which you can select and then click "Uninstall."

• Roy

Just an additional thought, it's probably worth mentioning that you don't want to uninstall software by deleting files or folders from your Program Files folder. The installation procedures for Windows software involve more than just storing files in that folder; there are Dynamic Link Library (.dll) files, registry entries, etc. that need to be altered or removed properly. That's why some software comes with uninstallers, and those that don't should be safely uninstalled using the Control Panel. In fact it's not a bad idea to use the Control Panel even when removing programs that come with their own uninstallers.

A second side note: you can't completely uninstall Internet Explorer from your system. Even if you don't use it for web browsing, I believe it is still necessary in order to use Windows Update.

• Packer104

I got rid of it by useing system restore