How can I unhide hidden files in Windows XP?

Suresh October 5, 2011

I have Windows XP. On one drive, a few files are hidden. I found out by running Avira antivirus.

When I open that folder/partition, nothing is shown. I used folder option and command prompt -h, attribute to unhide, but still the files are in hidden mode. When I right click and see the properties, it shows some 700 MB are occupied on my drive. Even the command prompt did not indicate the presence of any files on pressing tab. On scanning that particular folder/partition using Avira, it scans those hidden files and I found that they are .net files.

Is there any software to unhide those files? Or any other ways to unhide? Please help me. Thanks in advance.

1. rate

any is visible in the winrar window. so one can view/delete any system file or hiden file just by using winrar

2. Sureshkumar

thanks Badai_nila. i will back u soon aftr checking it

Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
    Move to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionpoliciesExplorer if using Server (or Advanced Server) or HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced if using Professional (Workstation)
    If the value does not exist create a value named ShowSuperHidden of type DWORD
    Set to 1. Click OK
    Close the registry editor
    http://www.exnol.com/view-system-files-super-hidden-in-explorer

Does folder options gets back to do not show hidden files automatically ?
    then you can try this:

http://www.teeeh.com/troubleshooting-and-fixes/show-hidden-files-and-folders-not-working/

FIDELIS  He already used folder option and command prompt -h, attribute to unhide, but still the files are in hidden mode

I had almost similar problem, years ago..when I did not have internet and updated antivirus.

in my case the files were virus.
    what does avira say about these files ? are they virus ?
    Are these hidden files known to you ? do u want to access them , or delete them ?

I used this software called acd see 7.0. it could show virus which explorer of windows could not.

today acd see has verion 12, you can try it,but if it is not does not show hidden files, then here is version 7 also.
    http://www.oldversion.com/download-ACDSee-7.0.html

right click on folder and click browse with acd see.
    or open acd see and click on my computer, and then pendrive.
    Acd see is a image manager software, but it has this capability also.

create a file with the same name and try to replace it by pasting to that folder.
    read the filename when avira scans it.

if you cant replace them, may be it is some infected stuff.
    you can also format you pendrive to get rid of the files, if you don't want them.

if it is a virus, then it may stop you from replacing or formatting.
    do you have licensed and updated antivirus, if not get one.

• SURESHKUMAR

those files are not virus, are setup .net files. i will back u soon after checking acdsee in my computer. thanks mr.jaY

good luck.. by the way, did you try to copy and paste your files by command promt ? I know, command prompt could not find them, but still give it a try..because you can read the filenames on your antivirus, using it you can try copying the files.

I have acd see version 12 and 9  right now, to view hidden files, you have to go to view> filters> advanced filters  or just press alt +I and select to show hidden data.

but I will recommend first to go to a folder and check folder options and click show protected files..take a look at the screenshot, because i think acd see uses the same thing to unhide the data.

Hello, this is very easy to do:

-- open windows explorer
    -- on menu, click on Tools
    -- select Folder Options
    -- on menu, select View
    -- under header, Hidden Files and Folders
    -- check show hidden files and folders
    -- click on Apply
    -- click on Ok