Can you help me understand my wireless setup or provide me with resources?

Jonzn4sum March 18, 2010

Hello!

Not sure i have the right site to ask this question but here goes.

I live in an area were open access are everywhere and I decided to us one while I get stable enough to get my access point. I had Geek Squad come and connect everything for me and it cost over 200 claims. It works fine, most of the time, but I need to learn more about this kind of stuff because it fascinates me, the wireless thing.

I just need some links to sites that help solve my questions. I’ll describe my set up and then go from there. I first have a wifi adapter connecting to the open access point going into my workstation. Second I have a Netgear Wireless router connected wired to my Ethernet port of the same work station. This is connected to the Internet port on the router. Third I have a second wifi adapter on the same workstation. All in all 1 router and 2 wifi adapters an the same work station.

He (Geek Squad) also installed a Mac Bridge which I have figured out bridges the 1 wifi adapter (open access) to the wireless router. The second wifi adapter (I asked Geek Squad) is where I access the Internet. That confuses me.

I’m not sure why I need the second adapter if the internet already travels through my primary work station. Also, sometimes I have to go into the control panel and tweak the add to bridge, remove form bridge setting to get both adapter to have internet connection.

The primary workstation will access the internet with either or both connection connecting to the internet but the other (6) workstation will only work if they are both showing the a Internet connection.

Tweaking connect, disconnect, add and remove from bridge and the order I do it in are getting me frustrated. Most the time it happens after a restart and sometimes there is an IP conflict. I just need to find a site that helps a novice like myself understand the how to streamline and understand what really happening and if I really need the second adapter.

I would really like some input. Thank you.

1. Jonzn4sum

i have tried different configuration and have come to the conclusion that the 1st adapter connected to the internet via open access routed the internet via mac bridge miniport through ethernet cable to the router and the second adapter allowed me to connect to home network set up behind router... does that make any sense? Just a simple bridge doesnt seem to work or am i missing something?

2. Jonzn4sum

Hello
    This is jonzn4sum, and sence my initial post i have reinstall factory setting thinking that eventualy i would locate and be able to do this MAC Bridge miniport thing on my own.. So far i have not had any luck. on a positive note i have been able to communicate with the other pc via ad hoc networking and i feel it safer for some reason. We all have to sign in to access each other info and that is good. But i tryed bridging two connection to route the internet back through the router and was not successful so my router sets disconnected. The down fall is that my PS3 does not connect to ad hoc. I think i really need the MAC bridge miniport but can seem to get any info. any help.
    btw... thank for the replies.

Hi Jon

If you're a novice first i would recommend read our short guide on Networks. It explains the basics and shows how to setup local networks and sharing internet connection between networked computers.

Maybe once you read that you will be able to simplify your setup.

I also agree with Karl that your setup is a bit too complicated, you don't need all that to accomplish what you have.

I can not imagine why you would need that many adapters on one machine. If you have open access to the internet you can connect to that from each of your machines without any issues and with only 1 wireless adapter.

You can check out these links:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/secure-your-wireless-network-here-is-why-and-how/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-wireless-home-network-mobile-phone/

Call Geeksquad and ask why they set this up this way. You paid $200 you deserve to know what they did!

Hey Karl

I think those links aren't really helpful in that case. One shows how to secure a wireless networks and the other is about how to setup one using mobile phone.

I think what needed here is howto for network setup and connection sharing that I linked to in my other comment below.