Why I am unable to transfer files from my PC to my external HDD?

Osama Javaid September 15, 2012

I am using a Hitachi 1TB external HDD. Recently, its data cable stopped working, I mean the external hard drive stopped getting detected through any USB port with that wire.

My cell phone data cable has the very same connectors, so I started using that as a data cable for my external hard drive. Now I can transfer files TO and FROM my external hard drive to my laptop and one of my friend’s laptop, and even TO my PC, but not FROM MY PC TO external hard drive. The problem arises only when copying files FROM my PC to hard drive.

I have 5 free USB ports and it is happening on every port. The copy process just slows down and never ends.

1. Rohit Pandey

o to device manager & try optimizing the drive for performance.

Goto: Device manager/Disk Drives
    Find the disk and right click for properties option.
    Click 'Policies' tab'
    Check "Better Performance"

That should solve the problem.

Is your xHDD powered by the USB cable or does it have an external power supply?

3. Dave Rimmer

If you can copy files from you HDD to you PC then copy everything to your PC then reformat the HDD and try again.

4. Dimal Chandrasiri

I think you better change your cable to an original hitachi one. cus, even if it seems that the cable is the same, it's designed for another device. may be the voltages differ, or the transfer standards are different. so, my advice is to get an original cable. :)

5. Daniel Arthur

i also have a Hitachi 250Gb external HDD and when i plug it into my Dell Optiplex gx270 it accepts it and release it all the time but it does not do same on other pcs and laptops. i mean the computer is not able to recognize it, so i cannot use.

6. Edmar Diego

if the hardware fix doesnt work. try scanning your system for malwares and viruses. something they can cause a glitch which disables USB ports and CD drives.

7. Osama Javaid

My port is USB 2.0 and I want to clarify that that cable is working on laptops both ways and FROM external HDD to my PC also as I mentioned in my question, but not on transferring data FROM my PC to my External HDD

8. GrrGrrr

is the USB on ur PC 1.0, or 2.0 version?

the phone cables are not suitable for massive data transfer, pls get yourself a proper cable.

Are you having issues with other devices connected to your PC through those USB ports as well? If so, it could be a hardware problem with the hub controller. It could also require updated drivers or if drivers were recently updated for it, you may need to roll them back.

clean your pc from temp files and old files, with ccleaner, glary utilities...try again copy.

if help needed then use teracopy or extremecopy and se the outcome.
    http://codesector.com/teracopy
    http://www.easersoft.com/product.html

11. Ahmed Khalil

Best solution is to use another new data cable to check if this problem is from the cable or it is software issue

12. HLJonnalagadda

Check transferring the files with a software such as Copy Handler. Download: http://www.copyhandler.com/en/download. If it is still not going through, best try using another data cable and checking.