Why am I unable to install Windows XP on a Compaq laptop?

Aamir May 9, 2010

Recently, I bought a Compaq CQ62-104TU laptop, which contains an Intel Core I3 processor. It has Windows XP drive when I checked on HP website. But when I insert Windows XP CD it’s not detecting Hard disk. Though I got CD which has SATA driver and which works for other Compaq laptop. But that is not working with this laptop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. USB 3G

thank you big time

2. Sameer_z2000

To all you dear ones even i have bought the same model and after a long hard work day and night i finaly got the solution,its realy very simple just download SATA 2 Drivers(Available on intel's website) and and merge it into the XP SP3 CD by creating the image i used N-lite software to merge the drivers.And install Win XP On your Laptop.It was an achivement for me coz it was the first laptop in my city thats haveing I3 Processor and running windows coz i have asked all the top engg in my city for it (Well i am from aurangabad.)
    Hope u have a great time.
    Sameer (Ammu)

• Sandip

hi sameer i'm sandip ...i'm also facing this kind of problem.i visited intel's website to download the sata 2 driver but i cannot recognize which to download...plz tell me ..because i am confuse between 64 bit and 32 bit drivers there ...tell me which to download... i have nlite also tell me how to merge....plz

Sandip,

I suggest that you post a new question in case you receive no helpful reply to your question here. If you do post a new question, please provide as much information as possible about the hardware that you require a driver for. Also specify your operating system and version.

Whether you need 32-bit or 64-bit drivers depends on your CPU and operating system. If you're running a 32-bit Windows, you also need the 32-bit driver. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can go with the 32-bit driver even if you're running 64-bit hardware and operating system.

• Browse2prakash

how to merge the sata 2 dirvers with the win xp3 cd............

• Browse2prakash

3. Dmillerinmich

xp has a down side when it comes to adding o.s upgrades. I HAVE XP on my computer and there is sooo many steps I have to do to upgrade to windows 7. tranfer tons of thing and then reinstall. my drivers wont be saved so I have to reinstall manually everythng i have ever attached to my computer. do a systems check, go to egghead and upgrade ram card and go with windows 7. trust me, win 7 interacts with modern devices and as lots of possiblilities with a hell of alot more programs than xp.

If your hard drive is not detected, then it is a hardware problem. You should contact the seller and ask for assistance. If you've just buy the machine recently then all the cost (repair and hardware replacement) should still be free.

Hi

Note that windows XP doesn't support more then 32 GB in single partition. Though XP with SP2 does support the same, also check the cpu version 32 bit or 64 bit

• Aamir

hiPrasadkh

can you be more clear about your saying sorry but i really didn't get you !!!!!

6. Steve Campbell

If you recently bought this laptop, shouldn't XP already be installed on it? I'm not sure I follow you here, perhaps if you were to give a little more detail, but from the sound of things there seems to be either a compatibility issue of some kind or possibly a hardware one.

Did the CD come with the computer? Because with newer laptops they usually don't. You can do a system restore right from the hard drive in most cases.

• Aamir

the system which i bought is free DOS.i didn't receive any CD's with it.
      i tried the same CD with older laptop which is Compaq CQ40.it's working there but the same CD is not working in the case of CQ62-104TU laptop.i am just wondering what may be wrong