How does a U-Disk compare to a USB flash drive?
Question by Rick Hartsel /

What, if any, is the difference between a U-disk and a USB flash drive??

• Sandra

i have a 4G 7″ MID Google Android 2.2 touchscreen tablet PC, WiFi
    it says i need a U-Disk,  is this a flash drive? i have not heared of a u-disk.
    i guess i am not the brightest light in the room. LOL

• Cybersunshine

My question also Sandra. The first reply to this post just confused me more! I thought maybe I was just having a senior moment. AND what does a u disk look like? Is it something older or is it new and maybe I just haven’t seen it? I have a transfer box for one of my android tablets. On the side it has two “slots”, one says usb and one says u disk. The other “slot” is for ethernet. So again, what is a u disk? How does it differ from flashdrives etc. Thanks!

• Kneylan

The udisk appears to be a cube that fits into that slot. You insert usb into this box/connector. I hope this answers your question. I found this in my manual. I’m still having trouble getting free books to download and open.

• Guest

As a rule, do not click on links that “download” anything you don’t understand. Often they are tricks to get malware (bad software) on your computer. Some may give you advertisements, while others can do much worse. 

• Laburner

What does the “download” button give you. Nowhere on this page is the explanation of what one downloads by clicking.

What download button are you referring to?

Do you mean the ‘Click Like to Download Now’ in the blueish bar on top of the page? It does say what you get right in front of it: Get 30+ Exclusive MakeUseOf Guides.

• Laburner

Why is the question unanswered?  Is it difficult to say that there is no difference or that  a u-disk does this while a usb drive does that?

Hiif you instal UDisks then all your media should be auto mounted in GNOME and KDE SC 4.6. There is no need for any additional rules this way. As an extra bonus you can remove HAL if you were only using that for auto mounting purposes. the way it worksis that the desktop session is responsible for deciding if a mountable filesystem is to be automatically mounted
    “http://packages.debian.org/fr/sid/udisks”

For instance It is necessary to put your phone in mode UDisk to serve you as a storage device
    Connectivity/ connection profile/mode USB ; Udisk Mode. then the phone works as a USB key

A USB hard drive is an external hard drive that connects via USB. It uses the same design as an internal hard drive, except comes in an external casing that protects the drive. The case also includes a USB interface, which allows you to connect the drive to your USB port using a USB cable. Most USB hard drives require a USB 2.0 connection, since USB 1.1 does not have a fast enough data transfer rate to be practicalA USB flash drive, sometimes called a “keychain drive,” also connects to the USB port on your computer. Unlike a USB hard drive, a flash drive is a “solid state” device, meaning it has no moving parts. The data is stored electronically, using millions of small gates that have a value of 1 or 0. Hard drives store data using spindles of disks that spin thousands of times every minute.