Is it possible to use Ubuntu as a portable program?

Mariomaster100 June 28, 2010

Is there a way to install Ubuntu onto a jump drive without having to boot from the USB? Is there a program/app that can load the portable Ubuntu without having to boot from USB? I’m a PC user btw.

1. Tom

puppy linux is really small and can help get the most out of an ailing computer. depending on what software you download puppy linux with, its size can be as little as 100Mb. Ubuntu on the other hand is more tailored for desktop use but you should definitely try a live CD or virtual machine

2. Steve Campbell

I know you're asking about Ubuntu but another Linux distro you might be interested in is Puppy Linux. It's really small and fast and is meant to be booted from a cd or jump drive. You would generally use it in case your computer was having problems and you couldn't access the installed OS. I'm not sure if this is the case for you specifically but you may want to check it out: http://www.puppylinux.org/

Why not just run the Ubuntu LiveCD? Then you can use it whenever you want - apart from save documents. But that's probably not what you are after?

4. sneakily1

Actually you can install an Ubuntu live cd to a larger flash drive (8-32gb) and make it bootable to have a complete computer system on a single drive. There's plenty of tutorials out there that explain the easy process. You can do this for most any Linux distribution, and once it loads up, it will run smooth

5. Jessica Cam W.

You'd have to download MobaLiveCD, which is a 1.52 MB portable application and also have the Ubuntu .iso file (that's around 700 MB) on your large-enough USB drive. Just run the MobaLiveCD executable file, select the second button of "Run the LiveCD" in the "Start directly a CD-ROM ISO image file" section, find the Ubuntu .iso file, choose whether you want to create a hard disk image for your virtual machine (I usually click No) and let it load.Running Ubuntu this way isn't the best way to experience Ubuntu as this method uses an emulator so it will be slower. Also, if you create any files when you're on Ubuntu, make sure to save them to your flash drive often. Let me know if this helps!