Why does Ubuntu Live CD not show my hard drive?

Georgia June 23, 2010

My computer had a boot failure (Windows Vista 64-bit). I needed to back up my files before reformatting, so I followed someones advice to make a live CD of Ubuntu, but when I go to computer it doesn’t show my hard drive. Any suggestions?

1. Artur Wrona

Just noticed this one - instead of /home should /disk in commands i've given you.

That's what coffee deprivation does to people ;)

• MrT

Thats one way of doing it, easier to go to places, you will see the drive there, just click on the icon and it'll open it up (ie mount it)...

2. Artur Wrona

Hi,

When Ubuntu will load XWindows, open terminal and type:

sudo mkdir /disk
    sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o force /dev/sda1 /home

It will try to rewrite ntfs session status after anything different than proper Windows power-off procedure. If you're lucky enough it may become bootable again straight away, otherwise do your backup and type in terminal:

sudo umount /home
    sudo cfdisk /dev/sda

and set sda1 to bootable. Now choose "Write" (and confirm it by typing "yes") to save the changes.

Quick note: /dev/sda1 refers to first partition on first SATA drive. If you have older ATA (wide connector) your hard drive will be /dev/hda for primary master, /dev/hdb for primary slave and respectively /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd for secondary channel.

sda1 will be representation represantation of Windows "Drive C" in most cases anyway.

Hope it will help!

3. Srinivas G

I reckon the boot failure is probably because of the failed Hard Drive. Go to System>Administration>Disk Utility and see if your Hard Drive is listed there. If it isn't, try connecting your hard drive to a different port on your motherboard and see if the power connection is intact. Then press F2/Delete/Esc while booting to go to the BIOS options and check if your Hard Disk is listed under the peripheral devices. Please Report back. :)